Harry began distributing copies of the will. “It’s usual to begin with a reading of the will, ladies and gentlemen. There’s a copy for each of you. I’ll answer any of your questions at the end.”

“Just a minute now, Mr. Jenkins. Are you sure that’s the latest will? What’s the date on it?” asked Frank.

Immediately, Harry was on his guard. Trouble was coming from Frank, right on cue. “It’s dated the twelfth of April, 1998.”

“Nineteen ninety-eight, you say? You sure of that date?”

“Yes.” Harry said. Frank was headed into his cat-and-mouse routine. For sure, he was involved in the missing-will business, thought Harry. Frank was lounging back in his chair, but he leaned over to rummage through his case. Harry hoped the chair might snap under Frank’s girth.

“Well, seems like that’s an out-of-date will. I got one right here that’s dated just before she died.”

Peter Thompson, Cameron McCrea, and Harry glanced at one another.

Thompson was the first to speak. “How do you happen to have Miss Deighton’s will?”

Frank ignored the question and barreled on. “This will appoints another lawyer—not you, Jenkins—as the executor.” Frank waved the document in the air. “That means, Jenkins, you and your cronies here at the great Gideon Trust are out of the picture.” Frank’s grin could not have been wider.

“Let’s see it, then,” Harry said impatiently. “It was made just a few days before Miss Deighton died?”

“So?” Frank pulled on his tie. “That doesn’t mean it’s no good.”

“No, but it must be the one she wanted to change.”

“But she didn’t.”

“True, Mr. Sasso. Only her death prevented that.” Disgusted, Harry folded his arms across his chest. “And you still haven’t told us how you got this will.”

Still smiling broadly, Frank tossed the will along the table to Harry, who spent several moments examining it.

His gut sank. “Yes, that looks like Marjorie’s signature.” Then he felt his anger rise. “Just how did you get your hands on this, Frank?” He peered at him, wondering whether the bully or the wheedler would surface first.

Frank hesitated only for a second. “This lawyer, Fulford, gave it to me.” His jaw jutted out. “Told me Marjorie made it fair and square, when she was of sound mind, and without any influence, either.”

Harry saw Frank’s weakness. Too rehearsed. Out of his depth. Probably Fulford had given him some rudimentary coaching. “You sound worried about something,” Harry prodded. “Pretty defensive.”

“What does it say?” asked Katharine. Her voice was low and threatening. “I know you, Frank. How did you get Marjorie to change her will?”

Harry held up his hand for silence. “This purported will makes major changes.”

“Hey! What’s this ‘purported’ shit?” Frank’s grin began to fade.

Harry ignored him. Nodding in McCrea’s direction, Harry continued, “Both Gideon and I have been replaced by a sole executor. A lawyer named James Fulford gets the job. The will leaves the house to Suzannah and divides the rest of the estate equally among the three of you.”

“God damn it, Frank. You’re a real bastard!” Katharine was halfway out of

her chair.

Gerry rose to stand beside her. He held her arm. “Katie, don’t. We can fight him, but not this way.”