“Which is?”

“Marjorie Deighton’s will. The original.”

“When did you find that out?”

Harry seethed at the implication that he was withholding information. “Just now,” he replied coldly. “My secretary went to the vault, and it was gone.”

“Okay,” the sergeant sighed. “I was coming over anyway.”

Harry replaced the receiver and then redialed. He needed advice quickly. More attention paid in criminal-law class would have been helpful now, he reflected.

“Is Stephen Barrett in, please?”

“One moment. Who’s calling?” came the cheery voice.

“Harry Jenkins. And tell him it’s urgent, would you?” Harry eased into his chair. It hurt to sit. It hurt to stand.

“Harry, good to hear from you. What’s up?”

“I need some quick advice, Stephen. How far do I have to cooperate with the police in revealing information about clients?”

There was a lengthy pause. “That depends,” Stephen began cautiously. “Who’s charged with what?”

“It’s part of that murder investigation of Rosie Michaels.”

“You have to cooperate. The police can ask any questions and look at any files regarding that client,” Stephen said briskly.

“And the gray areas?”

“Refuse, then call me. Who’s investigating?”

“Sergeant Welkom. 55 Division.”

Stephen groaned. “Jesus, that guy should have been retired five years ago. Thinks he’s the only real cop left. Very sloppy.”

Harry could hear voices in the outer office. “Thanks, Stephen. I may be calling you about this later.”

“Sure, anytime. But be careful, pal.”

Harry hung up and rose stiffly from his chair. When Sergeant Welkom arrived, Miss Giveny ushered him and one other uniformed officer into the office. Sitting down, Welkom fished a sheaf of papers from his breast pocket. He tossed them on Harry’s desk.

“What’s this?”

“Read it. It’s a court order,” growled the sergeant.

For a moment, Harry stared at the neatly folded document. He could see the edge of the red seal poking out.

“We’re going to exhume the body, Mr. Jenkins.”

“It’s about time the police did their work,” Harry said mildly. He unfolded the papers and began reading. “Are you serving me with this?”

“Guess so, Mr. Jenkins. You’re Marjorie Deighton’s executor. You’re responsible for the body, right?”

“Yes, I’m one of the executors. Gideon Trust is the other.”

“I think you should get her next of kin together right away. The body will be exhumed in the morning for an autopsy.”

“Good. It should have been done right away.”

“Listen, counselor, stay out of police work. The coroner’s office—”

Harry waved him off. “I’ll arrange the meeting.”

“Good. I’d like to be there. Might shed some light on the case.”

Harry nodded curtly. “I’ll let you know, sergeant. Now, about the missing will.”

Welkom shrugged. “The officer here will take down the details.”

“Only one person would benefit from the theft of the will. Suzannah Deighton gets the house under the old will. In the stolen one, she has to share it with her brother and sister.”

Welkom could not overlook this information. He nodded to the other cop, who took out his notebook. “So, you’re saying this niece, Suzannah Deighton, broke in and took the will?”

“Not her, sergeant. But her boyfriend, Frank Sasso, might have.”

“Okay, we’ll look into it.” Welkom stood in the doorway. “Remember, counselor, to let me know about that meeting. I want to be there.” Welkom pulled the door shut.

With intense pain in his side, Harry sank into his chair. Damn! He’d forgotten the painkillers. He buzzed Miss Giveny to set up a meeting of the beneficiaries that afternoon.

Ten minutes later, his secretary called out. “Mr. Jenkins? Do you want to speak to that Mr. Chin? He’s on line two.”

“All right,” Harry sighed, picking up the phone. “Yes, Mr. Chin. What can I do for you?” The flowers were only a dark and hazy memory.

“I am most happy to see you are better. Did the flowers arrive?”

“Yes. Thank you very much.” In the long pause, Harry could think of little to say. “It was very kind of you,” he added.

“I understand the purchases will close tomorrow. After that, the conglomerate would like you to prepare an option to purchase the Deighton property, as soon as you are well enough. I have a further retainer for that work and certain rezoning work.”

Harry cut him off. “I told you, Mr. Chin. I am terribly sorry, but I cannot act in that matter, because I am her executor.”

“Surely, those are only technical concerns which may be overcome by—”

“I am sorry, but it’s a conflict I cannot ignore. I could refer you to—”

“I see. That is most unfortunate. I will have to advise the conglomerate. They will be very disappointed. Good day, sir.” Chin hung up.

Harry stared at the phone. So much for that work, he thought.