Chapter Sixteen

"Your mind is floating somewhere, what are you thinking so deep that you are making such expression?" Tessa asked, her head focused on her driving.

Unsure on how she would respond to Tessa, she turn her gaze on the window sill. What else would she say to her mother's coworker? The only option she had was either to lie or answer her in indirect way, like a pretense. There is no way that she would give her an honest answer, she could not even imagine telling to someone what has been going on in her life. What's the point of telling someone such petty thoughts?

Sure enough, no one would ever believe her if she tell someone about the weird treatment of her math teacher to her. More over, if they found out what he look like or the way he project himself to everyone. No, she cannot tell that, afraid that people would judge her instead.

There was just one thing that kept on bothering her mind, although she get away from her teacher's presence, she had this nagging negative feeling. Her gut was telling her that she must ready herself for something unpleasant.

"I am not sure. My gut feeling is telling me that there will be something bad that's gonna happen" She replied thinking about what could it be. Maybe it was because she was so used to negativity that her brain become program to live in constant worries. Thinking about Mr. Imran did not help her and made her feel even worse.

"Hey girl, cheer up a 'lil bit" Tessa was trying her best to ease her anxiety, although it was not helpful at all.

Kenya licked her dried skin on her lips then try to peel the dried skin off. It was a habit of her whenever she feel uncertain and restless.

"I'll try" She replied bluntly, having no energy to story tell. Her mind was full of unanswered questions she could not decipher how to find an answer. To her annoyance for constantly thinking about negative thought, she asked Tessa a random question she thought passable enough to ask "Why do I have to go there just to get my monthly allowance every time my mom was away?"

She just could not get the logic, why does she must go personally just to get the check, when in the first place, they can just deposit it on her bank account.

"I am not sure about that girl, that makes me wonder why, too" She paused for a moment before continuing "Maybe that's for verification"

For a verification? They can verify a lot faster with the connection and the brilliance the Shackles company have. Just like earlier, the school let her get off the hook that easy when they heard that Tessa was working in Shackles Co.. She heard it in faint, that the Shackles Company was one of the biggest sponsor of this school's latest establishments. Her mother, surely knows about this, the same reason why she enrolled in there.

"Tess, what is he look like, your boss?"

"I am asking that myself, if you are pertaining to my boss like the head of the department, well he is a bald foreigner. But the owner of the company itself, I had no idea at all"

Kenya was confused to her answer "What do you mean by that?"

"Do you remember Mr. Oliver Reed?" Tessa asked Kenya, she tried to remember the name and where she heard it before.

"Is he the mid-thirties looking man we met, way back in New York base office of Shackles CO.? I remember he is a single man despite of his good-looking face"

"Yeah, that's him. So was the owner back then, the last person I know the owner of the company. When the downsizing occurred as the company went bankrupt, people said that he died, some said get married the other said he sold the company to another businessman, so there's a high probability that he isn't the owner anymore. And yeah, that topic is a taboo, its forbidden to talk about that in the office, but since everyone in the office loves to hang out to relax, we were able to discuss the topic"