Chapter Nine

The next day, my body wanted to retire for a day regardless of how the sun had just risen from the horizon. My mind was filled with overwhelming pain from thinking about a various circumstances where I found myself in a pitiful situation since the day I was born.

I rigorously made my way to my class through the busy hallway. The whole scene was booming with echoes and chattering of the students in the area. Some of them were running towards the main hall where the announcements were being posted. I ignored the crowd of people and walk steadily towards my destination.

When I gazed around the inside of the room, I saw Erin talking with Terrence enthusiastically as she always does. At daze, I flimsily jerk my feet towards Erin and Terrence.

Erin's eye suddenly fall down on me when she recognized my presence. She waved at me in an instinct before she realized that my image was dreadful. I smiled at her in a whim just to not give her an impression that I was ignoring her.

Her worried eyes locked in to my gloomy figure as I made my way through the empty seats and to my desk. I notice that Terrence did the same thing, silently watching me till I was able to sit on my chair.

I inhaled a strength before I speak up despite of me wanting to be left alone.

"I was not able to sleep last night when I found out that I lost my phone"

"Goodness gracious! Where did you lose it?" Asked Erin

"On my way home. I was in an Uber car. I was hoping that the driver would at least see it and give it back to me but there was a chance that the next passenger would have it"

"I hope that an honest person would see it" Erin replied

I glanced at Terrence who is still silently looking at me before smiling weakly and greeting him.

"Hi"

He observed me for a few seconds before he replied

"Have you ever tried calling your phone through someone else phone?"

Thinking about what he suggest, I have not done that thing yet since it was the only phone I had in my house.

"I haven't. I live alone with my mom but she's out of town"

"Right, you should call your cell, you can use my phone"

Terrence then handed me his phone unlocked. I stare in to it for a few seconds then look back to Terrence and to Erin. I wonder how would I tell them that I was not so sure if I remember my cellphone number.

Fortunately, I remember that I add my current cell number in my social media so it should be there. I look to Terrence sizing him up.

"Is there a matter?" Asked Erin.

Erin curious eyes questioning my silence so I pick up my strength and uttered:"Can I open my facebook as well?"

I barely talk to Terrence. To be precise, we first greeted each other just yesterday so asking him another favor after lending his hand to help me for the very first time made me feel embarrassed. I might be asking too much from this person. I was too anxious to people I just meet recently as I have no idea about their character.

"Pftttt... puwahahahahahhaha"

Erin, who was curious a while ago has snorted and start laughing. I wonder what was laughable about what I said that made her laugh that much.

Terrence look at me half smiling with an apologetic expression. They seem to know each other very well. He then breathed in and say:

"It's alright, just do what you have to do"

A sigh of relief washed all over me when I hear him. I silently entered my username and password after I logged out his account on his phone.

When Erin was done laughing she and calm down a bit, she apologize and say:

"Sorry, I just thought that you asking him about that is hilarious" She cleared her throat and continued "I was not laughing at you. No offense means but, Terrence is one of the kindest person I ever known so seeing you warily asking him that question sounds hilarious to me"

At one point, I felt a bit offended when she laughed at me but then I realized, I should be thankful to her for breaking a wall between me and Terrence. If she had not laugh like that I would definitely feel awkward while using Terrence's phone.

When I found the information I was looking for, I tapped the number on his phone and call it. I clearly hear my phone ringing on the other side which mean that my phone was still intact. It rang and rang until the voice message responded telling me that no one was answering by phone.

A glint of hope has sprinkled through me. My phone not being found by anyone could mean that it could still be given back to me. I called it a few more time before quitting.

Despite of the embarrassing experience I went through yesterday, I would still be thankful if that uber driver would be the one to found it. He seems a good guy from what I recall. If he was the one to ever see it, I was sure that my phone will be coming back to me.

I gave Terrence's phone back to him when someone yelled that Mr. Imran was coming. I told them that no one was answering from the other side. I was sure that I set it in silent mode without vibration so there was a possibility that it has not been noticed yet.

When Terrence had his phone back he told me that he would try to call it again when he had a time.

The whole classroom turned in to a deafening silence when a tall man wearing a white cotton shirt and black fitted trousers. All eyes were following his every movement carefully not making any noise that he would notice. Everyone was scared of him after he showed us how he lose his temper.

Everyone were all wary of him since then but it was different for me. I tried to avoid his eyes whenever he was about to look in to my direction. As the lesson progressed, I diverted my eyes on the writings on the board instead on him.

I had no idea what bad thing I was expecting if I ever met his gaze. The truth was, he could not do what he did to me yesterday because we were surrounded by other students during the lesson but the thought that he acknowledge my presence made me feel uneasy.

The class ended up smoothly but he did not dare to take the assignments he had given to some of my classmates before he left. I was glad that his subject ended up without any troubles like yesterday. I had seen him in my peripheral vision that he was looking at me a few times.

I was anxious by his stares but I dare not to face him that will cause a more interactions between us. In my next class with miss Naska, she did not mention anything too. I felt relief that despite of what Mr. Imran did yesterday, he did not mention me leaving earlier than when I attend Miss Naska's class.

When lunch time came, Erin and me decided to take a lunch in noisy cafeteria. I bought my lunch there because I was not able to prepare my meal earlier.

When Erin and I were settled in, a few minutes has passed and Terrence joined us well. The tree of us talked about how would I get my phone back. They have given me a few suggestion.

The entire day passes that next thing I realized was, Erin pulling me to enter the club building as what we planned yesterday.