XXVII

"What did you do?" Klaus asks. 

"We didn't have a choice," Elena was quick to explain, "He was trying to cut off Jeremy's arm!" 

Klaus seethes, "Lies! He never would've gotten inside if you hadn't have set a trap for him." 

"You said you were gonna put him down, too!"

He yells, "I was gonna make him suffer on my terms!" He looks over at the Gilbert home, "I'm gonna burn this house to the ground, and then when you try to flee for your lives, I'll kill you both without blinking." 

"You kill us, you'll never get to the cure. You'll never be able to make more hybrids," Jeremy spat. 

"You really think I care for an instant about my bloody hybrids? I want the cure so I can destroy it! I would've killed you all the second we dug it up, but now I'm just gonna watch you burn instead!" 

He drops the ground in a sudden pain, groaning. Bonnie walks in, surprising the two. "Invite him in," she says. "Do it!" 

"Come in," Jeremy says. 

Klaus falls in, growling. Jeremy and Elena ran off, leaving Bonnie to defend herself. "Living room, go!" 

As the two run past, Klaus is trapped in the space. He beats against an invisible force, and Jeremy lifts the stake from Kol's chest. He's in front of Bonnie now, Jeremy and Elena were at the door. 

"Witch, you can't do this to me." 

"You have no idea what I can do now," she argues. 

"I will hunt all of you to your end!" He began yelling, "DO YOU HEAR ME? DO YOU?" He beats against the force again as they rush out of the house. 

Rebekah was the next to know, but she quickly joined the team to find the cure. Caroline and had been sent to watch Klaus. But during her speech about Klaus being a complete asshole, he pulled her in through the invisible shield, seeping his fangs into her neck. 

Caroline dropped to the ground, now dying with the werewolf bite. Hours go by before she's up again, and Tyler was begging for him to save her. "I'll be your slave again," he says through his clenched jaw. "I'll do whatever you want. Just help her." 

"No." 

"Call Carli," Caroline mumbles through choked sobs. "She can help, right?" 

* * * 

"What did you do?" Carli looks between Klaus, Caroline, and Tyler. 

"Just help her, please," Tyler begged. 

Carli's eyes landed on the green blanket covering a large item on the ground of the kitchen. There was a faint smell of smoke. "Carli," Tyler pleads. But Carli was walking towards the blanket covering the unknown. Lifting the cover, she gasps, stumbling back in surprise. 

"Is that," Carli whispers, "Kol?" 

"Your dear Elena and her brother did this," Klaus says. "They did this to our family! You see, Carli, she was never enough for you! She didn't love you, she took advantage of you!" 

"That's not true," Caroline quickly argued. "Elena loves you Carli, Kol wanted Jeremy dead, they had to stop him." 

"They set a trap for him," Klaus adds. "They let him in, Carli. Why would I lie to you? You love Kol, you loved Kol," He corrects himself. His eyes were watery, and trained on his sister. 

"Where are they?" Carli asks, her face was showing no emotion. 

"They went looking for the cure, you won't be able to get to them." Tyler explained. 

She bites into her arm, and pushes her wrist into Caroline's mouth. "She'll be fine," Carli mumbles. 

Klaus asks, "How could you? They killed our brother!" 

"I know that, Klaus, I know!" Carli lifts her head to shout at him, her eyes were filled with tears, her voice dropping, "I know." 

"Then, why are you helping them?" 

"As if you'd let her die," Carli rolls her eyes. "You'd save her faster than you'd save me-" 

"That's not true," he argues. 

"Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully, we'll never find out." Carli looks down at Caroline, wiping the blood from her mouth, "You'll be okay, Caroline." 

"Thank you," she said gratefully. "I'm sorry about Kol," she mumbles. 

"It's not your fault," Carli responds. 

"Thank you," Tyler says, "For saving her." 

"I'm not my brother," Carli sighs. 

"I'm still here." 

"I know," Carli pulls her phone from her pocket. "I'll see if I can pull a few strings to get you out of there," she sighed. 

"You can't," Tyler argues. "He'll kill Elena! And Jeremy!" 

Carli looks up at him, her face had held no emotion. "I honestly don't care about what happens to Elena Gilbert. A piece of advice, to you both, you want to live (peacefully) you should stop caring too." 

Carli sends a few texts to multiple friends, and one finally replied with good news. "Someone's coming, you'll be out in a few hours," she tells Klaus. "Now I have a bone to pick, excuse me." Carli exits the room, walking up the stairs. 

She takes notice the bloody stake in the wall, and wooden pellets all over the floor. "What the hell?" She kicks aside some of the mess, walking into Elena's bedroom. Removing her jacket with a frustrated sigh, she presses the phone to her ear. 

"Hello?" 

Elena Gilbert. Former lover. Current Enemy. 

"You killed him, didn't you?" The other line was quiet. "You killed my brother, how could you kill my brother?" 

"He was trying to kill Jeremy, Carli, I promise I wouldn't have done this if I didn't have a choice!" Elena's hands were flailing around, as if Carli were right there, arguing to her face. 

"That's a load of crap, and you know it," she growls back. Her eyes watered at the simple thought of her brother, she thought she was done losing people, but apparently not. 

"Carli-" 

"How could you?!" 

Elena's lower  givers, "I'm sorry-" 

"No you aren't, and you know that." Carli spits at her, and grabs her jacket. "We're done, Elena." 

"Wait, Carli, you don't-" 

"You killed my brother, don't you ever go near me again or I'll go for yours." 

Jeremy Gilbert died the next day at the hands of Katherine and Silas. 

But Carli wasn't there to see, she had rushed out of the Gilbert house soon after that call with Elena. Was she really done? Yes. She couldn't deal anymore, the constant on and off gave her whiplash. 

All she wanted was her epic love, but all she got was an epic tragedy. She dreamed for the nights spent with company rather than alone, someone who understood her. So, she made another call, on her way out of town. 

"Hello? Carli? Are you okay?" There it was. That familiar voice, that she longed for. That caring tone that seeped under the words. It was all still there. 

She gasps, "Tori."  

We're almost done!!!!!!