I

Edited on March 4, 2017.

"My family was quite close," Elijah tells Elena. "But, Klaus and my father did not get on too well." He sighs, and takes a seat. "When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son," He meets Elena's gaze. "My mother had been unfaithful many years before, but it wasn't her darkest secret. No, it was the birth of my youngest sister that was her true secret."

"Sister?" Elena sits gobsmacked.

"Yes, Klaus and our sister, Carli, share the same father. When my father learned the truth, he killed my mother's lover, and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day."

"A war between species?" Elena sits confused, watching as Elijah stands and sets his glass down.

"The vampires," He pauses. "And the werewolves."

"So Klaus' real father is from a werewolf bloodline? And your sister?" Elijah nods. "What does that make them? Werewolves? Or Vampires?"

"Both," Elijah speaks. The one word was what Elena needed to hear. Elijah continues to explain the curse that his brother Klaus is attempting to break, he was attempting to release him and their sister from it. "He wants to tigger that part of him, that's a werewolf. If allowed, my siblings would be able to sire their own bloodline. They'd build their own race, endangering more than just vampires."

"But you helped him?"

"I helped him, because I loved him. That's changed, now he must die."

"What about your sister? What about Carli?" Elena folds her arms, "Is she just as much of a problem as Klaus?"

"Carli is anything, but a threat to humankind. She's always been the kindest of us all," Elijah mumbles. He mentally looks back at the many great times they shared, before she ran off to live a happier life. A life with no secrets. "There is one way to kill any supernatural species, at the hands of the servants of nature themselves."

"A witch," Elena confirms. "If they can channel that much power." The conversation goes on, and eventually turns to the care Elijah held for Katherine.  "You cared about her, didn't you?" Elena asks.

"It's a common mistake, I'm told." Elijah falls quiet for a moment, "It's one I won't make again."

* * *

"I understand," Elijah tells Stefan. Only moments ago, Stefan apologized for his part in the death of Elijah-- how he'd only done it for the protection of the eldest Gilbert. The three all turns to the eldest Salvatore.

"Sacrifice is going to happen, Damn," Elena speaks up. "Bonnie will be able to kill Klaus without hurting herself, and Elijah knows how to save my life. I told you I'd find another way, and I did."

"Is that true?" Damon asks.

"It is," Elijah says.

"And you're trusting him?" Damon sneers at Elena.

"I am."

"You can all go to hell," Damon spits and exits the room.

"He's angry with me right now, but he'll come around." Stefan quickly apologizes to the original.

"Perhaps," Elijah mumbles. "Do you mind allowing me to borrow your phone?"

"Uh yeah, sure," Elena hands him the smart phone.

"Excuse me," He exits the room.  He quickly dials the number on the phone, stuffing a hand in his pocket as he listens to the ring.

"Hello?" Carli's voice brings a smile on Elijah's face.

"It's me," Elijah says.

"Elijah? Is something wrong? I thought Klaus had you six feet under?"

Elijah chuckles, "He did, sister. Do you mind coming home? I need your help with something, something important."

"Uh yeah sure, is everything okay? What do you need my help with?"

"We're going to kill Niklaus."

"I'll be right there," Carli says. "I love you, Elijah."

"I love you too, Carli." He smiles softly, "I'll see you soon."

"Where are you?"

"Mystic Falls," Elijah sighs. "Are you okay?" He asks, after minutes of silence.

"Yeah, of course, I'll see you soon."

Carli

"Who was that?" Tori, my girlfriend, asks.

"My brother, Elijah, he needs me to head home. Apparently its urgent." I turn around and a grin appears on my face at the sight of her. "Don't you look lovely," I chuckle.

"Well, I do have a dinner meeting tonight, which you promised to attend," She pouts and sets her hands onto my shoulders.

My hands grip her hips, "I'm sorry, babe, but my brother needs me."

"But I need you," She sighs. "Why can't you just-"

"Tori, my family needs me, and right now they need me more than you do."

Tori's brows furrowed in anger, "Are you serious right now? You promised be you'd be there tonight, and now you aren't."

Third Person

"Tori, please-" Carli tries.

"What aren't you telling me?" Tori pulls away, "What is so bad that you have to keep running off and hiding things from me? Isn't a relationship  built on trust?"

Carli looks at Tori, and she knew it was time. Sighing, she walked to the woman she cared so deeply for, and forced her to look into her eyes. "You will go to the dinner meeting, without me, and you'll tell everyone that we broke up because we fell out of love."

Tori, mindlessly, repeats every word she said, and she walks right out the door. Wiping her eyes, Carli collects her things quickly, tossing it into the trunk of her car.

Soon she's speeding down the streets, and heading straight for the one place that she had been avoiding for years.

Mystic Falls.