Part Fifty Two

It wasn't long before both Luke was ready to leave and Ashton rushed down the stairs.
If he got sent down for this, he would be sent to prison without a doubt. He had done too much for this to not rebound on him at all.
Ashton glanced over at the younger blonde. He hated the current situation but he knew the necessary steps to take.
He moved closer to the blonde boy, who stayed silent. Gently, Ashton cupped his hand around Luke's cheek and lifted his head so their eyes met.
"I care about you, more than I have for anyone in a long while, okay? And I really do care, but this isn't a good time for anything to happen between us. You need to leave okay? You need to go across the street and knock on a door. You need to get someone to call the police for you. Please, I don't care what it takes, but beg them to put you in protective custody, please..."
Luke didn't know how to respond. This was the only time he felt like Ashton had dropped any control. And it felt like the first time he had been completely sincere with Luke.
Without giving Luke chance to respond, Ashton leant down slightly and kissed him. He didn't pull away for several seconds and, when he did, he kept his gaze fixed on Luke.
"I know what you're going to say... Don't. You deserve to be happy, and I'm sorry for what I put you through."
"Ashton - I - I don't want to go home... You said that I would be better off with you-"
"I know what I said, and I was wrong. You're safer with people who can protect you."
Luke was left speechless, although he shook his head a little. Ashton had dropped his hand to his side now.
"Please Luke, I'm begging you. You're safer with people who know what they're doing..."
Ashton didn't say another word as he moved past Luke and opened the front door.
He didn't have any more words.