Part Twenty Three

It took Luke a while to process what happened, not like he could stop any of it.
Ashton unlocked the door, letting evening light stream into the small room. It forced a sense of disorientation on Luke and he squeezed his eyes shut, flinching away from Ashton.
Ashton ended up hauling Luke to his feet and pulling him from the small room under the stairs.
Within several minutes, Ashton had made Luke sit on the couch as he removed the duct tape from his wrists. It left red raw marks, but there was no serious damage, to the relief of both Ashton and Luke.
Luke was still having trouble concentrating on anything in particular until Ashton spoke to him and addressed him by name.
"Luke - do you want something to drink?"
Ashton knew that Luke was most likely dangerously dehydrated after almost four days without eating or drinking anything.
Luke only nodded slightly, being unable to put any words together.
Ashton silently headed into the kitchen to fetch Luke a drink. He left Luke sat on the couch, barely able to stay upright and conscious, but he was doing his best.
When Ashton returned, he handed Luke the glass of water, and Luke didn't even think twice before he took a sip.
Then he did something that, four days ago, he couldn't see himself ever doing. He thanked Ashton. And he meant it. He was genuinely grateful for Ashton giving him a drink, despite everything.
Luke began to focus a little better now, not feeling quite as awful as he had before. He wasn't quite so dizzy and he felt like it wouldn't be too much to ask of him for him to stay awake.
Luke had also gone beyond the point of hunger, with just a slightly sick and empty feeling in the pit of his stomach.
Maybe, if he kept on Ashton's good side, the last few days wouldn't repeat themselves.