Part Fifty

The silence that filled the air was awkward but short.
Ashton ended up leaning on the coffee table, staring down at his stomach.
"Luke - there's a first aid kit under the sink, do you think you could grab it for me?"
Luke just nodded and pulled the small box out from under the sink and returned to Ashton, sitting nervously on the couch opposite him.
"Are you okay?... I mean..." Luke trailed off, realising what a stupid question that was.
"I'll be okay," was Ashton's quiet reply as he opened the medical kit.
Luke was only able to watch Ashton press a cotton wool pad to the gash and him flinch slightly.
Luke had never been good with blood that wasn't his own - but he knew he would have to face up to it if he wanted to be any help to Ashton.
He swallowed hard, taking a breath before he spoke.
"Ashton... Let me do it..." he mumbled.
And Ashton glanced at him, maybe a little surprised. Luke was strangely accepting of what had happened, and didn't ask questions yet.
Ashton almost declined the offer of help, but he really wasn't doing well on his own. He nodded reluctantly, handing Luke the pad which was already doused in blood.
Luke took the bloodied pad and pressed it against the open wound. He flinched when Ashton did, although common sense told him to keep the pressure on.
"How is it?" Luke asked mildly, not looking down at where his hands were pressed against Ashton's lower torso.
"Well it stings a bit," Ashton laughed, "But hey, it could be a lot worse."
Luke forced a smile and nodded.
"Yeah... I guess that's true... But what even happened?"
Luke's question was met with a silence before Ashton answered.