Part Five

Ashton turned his back on Luke, unconcerned. His words, along with the promise of a second visit, should be enough for Luke to keep quiet.
Something Hemmings had said did stick with Ashton as he walked, though.
Was it even possible that Luke knew nothing of the money?
Ashton decided against it - there was very little reason that clients would give him a false reason to undertake a job. In fact, most of his previous clients gave no reason for their desire to have someone dead.
Ashton shook his doubt aside before lighting up a cigarette. He lifted it to his mouth and sucked in a breath, almost immediately feeling refreshed. Whatever Hemmings had or hadn't done, he had three days to fix it up.
Hemmings, on the other hand, stood stunned. Unsurprisingly, he was used to getting threats demanding he handed over money to just about anyone. Today was the first time it had gotten beyond an angrily written letter.
Luke ran his hand through his blonde hair as he watched the older man walk away, as if this was nothing to him. It most likely wasn't anything to him, at all.
At this moment, Luke was scared for his life. It had suddenly become apparent to him how easy it would be for someone like Ashton to carry out the threat.
None of that changed the fact that Luke didn't know who to pay, where to send the money, or how much he apparently owed. He may be successful, but that didn't mean he was rich either. A lot of money he made out of the business, went straight back into it as more investments. Luke wasn't as well off as everyone seemed to think.
Luke told himself that this problem would just go away if he waited it out. He couldn't be more wrong.