Part Forty Four

Ashton dropped to his knees, letting the handgun also fall to the floor. The bullet was embedded in the wall just inches away from Luke's head.
Luke himself was holding onto Ashton now, letting the older man run his hands through his blonde hair. It seemed as if Ashton cared. For real this time.
His head was pounding and he couldn't hear anything except a harsh ringing sound. He thought Ashton was trying to talk to him.
His vision was blurred, partly from tears but mostly due to how stunned he was. This wasn't a light experience.
Ashton, on the other hand was still running his hands through Luke's somewhat messy hair. He hadn't the guts to shoot Luke. He didn't want to take another undeserving life.
Hemmings made no attempt to move from where he was knelt, he was far too stunned.
The world was spinning as his vision gradually began to clear and he realised that was still alive.
Ashton was still speaking to him, he could see his lips moving but could hear very little other than a constant ringing sound.
Maybe he made out an apology in the jumble of noise, but Luke truly had no clue.
All he knew was that he had his arms wrapped around Ashton and he felt as if he was going to pass out - everything was so overwhelming for him. It could be said that he was holding onto Ashton as if his life depended on it.
He'd readied himself, not very well, to die. And Ashton had taken pity on him.
It was a lot to fathom.