Part Thirty Nine

Several days passed since Luke's brief moment of closeness with Ashton. It hadn't happened again. Ashton had begun to seem as if he were in a worse mood over the last two days, so Luke kept out of his way as best he could, considering he couldn't leave the house.
It was just before midday, on Luke's eighteenth day with Ashton, when another moment like before did come.
Ashton was leaning on the kitchen counter, flicking through the news on his phone.
It only reminded him that he only had three days left with Luke. On some level, that did hurt.
He shook off the feeling and moved to stand in the doorway of the living room, resting his gaze on where Luke was sat on the couch with a music channel in the background.
Ashton had been surprised to learn that he actually had anything in common with Luke. Maybe, if their situation wasn't as dangerous, they might have had a somewhat normal relationship.
"Hey, Luke, can we talk?"
Ashton knew Luke wouldn't say no.
Hemmings stood up and turned to face Ashton, in an attempt to make sure that he knew he was listening.
"Yeah, uh, if you want..."
Luke still had trouble not stammering while talking to Ashton.
Hemmings was motioned over to Ashton, so he headed over to stand with him in the doorway, quite quickly.
It didn't take Ashton long to realise that he couldn't say what he wanted to say without losing control over Luke. So he didn't say anything.
Ashton placed his hand on Luke's jawline and slowly lifted his head so their eyes met. He leant down, and brought his lips into contact with Luke's.
He pulled away rather quickly, leaving Luke slightly stunned, but not as if he were upset or in protest.
In that moment, there was a mutual, yet silent, understanding between both the younger blonde and older man. A mutual need for that closeness.