Part Forty Seven

Luke didn't know what to think. His first response, after he regained a minor part of his composure, was gratefulness to Ashton. Was this just one more of Ashton's games? Or was it even remotely real? Hemmings had a feeling that Ashton's pity had been out real emotion towards him, and that this was all real.
Luke's gaze landed on Ashton, who was still staring at Luke, seeming concerned for him.
"I wanna go downstairs," Luke mumbled, still a little dazed and headachy from before. But he was okay.
There was a great risk of permanent hearing damage, it was actually inevitable. Luke wasn't bothered by that right now. The ringing sound was only in his left ear by this time; he had more important things to focus on right this moment. He might actually get out of this alive... Not that he wanted to now, but he could.
Ashton shook his head in response to Luke's words.
"No, just relax, it's fine. The last thing we need is you falling down the stairs, right?"
Luke nodded. He knew he was a little off balance and Ashton was right.
"We can do whatever you want today, I feel awful..."
"Don't... I understand..." Luke mumbled in return.
In that moment, he didn't know how to feel. He understood that this was a dangerous position for him to be in, what Ashton had done proved that. But Luke didn't want to leave. His emotions towards Ashton were a mess, also. He hated Ashton for what he'd done, but he couldn't help but feel better when Ashton was around. Those moments they'd shared seemed completely real too. As difficult as it was to understand, the positive feelings he had for Ashton outweighed any negative ones. He was conflicted, but his instinct took over.
From that moment, he thought that things were looking up, for real this time.
He was still having a difficult time comprehending exactly why Ashton hadn't killed him, but Luke hoped it meant that he genuinely cared.