27 - hospital chairs

Third person's POV

The next few weeks went by in a blur for both yoongi and Jungkook.

The cold, dull, sanitiser scented hospital halls, the snacks that came from the vending machine, and the hard plastic seats of the waiting room became all too familiar to Jungkook over the time he had spent with Yoongi whilst Mrs Min remained unconscious and hooked up to countless machines.

While her life seemingly slipped away.

Over all his years of living, he had never experienced something as heartbreaking as watching Yoongi basically waste away while waiting for his mother to, hopefully, recover.

Yoongi's half dead appearance; greasy hair with black roots appearing at the top of his dyed grey locks, pale complexion and deep, dark circles residing under his eyes; was a reflection of his emotional state. He seemed almost empty, and emotionless, as if he was trying to build up a wall and block out any emotion.

Jungkook on the other hand was an emotional mess. Well, at least when he was alone in the bathroom, where he would silently sob. Silently wish for Yoongi to speak more than a sentence to him each day. Silently pray that Yoongi would reassure him that he's ok.

But Yoongi didn't reassure him. He rather, shut down, only replying to one-answer questions.

"Are you hungry Yoongi?"

"No"

"Are you tired Yoongi?"

"No"

"Do you want some time alone, Yoongi?"

"...Yes"

And so Jungkook continued to cry in silence, away from where Yoongi could see him.

After all, that boy already had enough to worry about, without an emotional Jungkook adding to the pile of shit he had to endure each day.

Dr Park, or Chanyeol, as he had insisted on being called, tried to make the waiting process as painless as possible. It wasn't easy to do, but the days seemed just a little bit brighter when Chanyeol would bring them hot chocolate and muffins from the cafeteria, giving them one of his signature bright, dimpled smiles as they sipped the beverages.

He was so kind to them, even though he had a busy schedule. It was clear he felt for Yoongi and cared for his family very much. Jungkook was so thankful he was around.

The days went and passed almost the same. Yoongi sat and waited. Jungkook comforted him as much as possible. Jin would sometimes visit, and bring Namjoon to brighten the mood, which never quite worked. Jimin, Hoseok and Taehyung visited too sometimes.

But Yoongi's mum remained the same, with no sign of improvement.

That was, until one day. Things changed.

Unfortunately not for the better.

Yoongi had started sleeping at the hospital, not wanting to leave his mothers side. Jungkook had stayed with him, for moral support. And it was while they slept, on the hard surface of the waiting room chairs, that they were awoken to bad news.

It was 3:04am when Chanyeol rushed to wake them.

Yoongi woke immediately and demanded to know what was going on.

Chanyeol looked at Yoongi, with heartbreak in his eyes. Jungkook knew then that whatever he had to say, was not in good spirit.

"Yoongi... It's your mother... I'm afraid her body has randomly stopped accepting the drugs we have given her. Its rejecting them at an alarming rate, and-"