Chapter 6

Holly's Point of View

I woke up with a groan, bringing my hand to my head as I didn't open my eyes, afraid of what I would open them to.

But when I heard uneven breathing beside me and a hand gripping my own hand tightly, I opened my eyes instantly and pulled my hand out of Jakes, wondering why he was touching me when he clearly didn't want me.

Jake awoke with a start, his wounds instantly becoming the focus of my vision as he stared at me with unfocused eyes. After a few seconds, his gaze focused and he looked at me with concerning eyes.

I looked away from him, retracting my hand as he reached for it, ignoring the lump in my throat as I turned away from him.

"Holly." My name came out in a soft whisper from his lips, my body reacting immediately, though I refused to let him see the affect he would always have over me. "I di-"

"What happened?" I asked, turning my gaze to his, my gaze tracing the deep gash beneath his shirt, which was evident due to the ripped material.

The last thing I could remember was the cold, lifeless eyes staring down at me.

And the feeling of dread was heavy on my heart as I waited a few seconds for his response.

He sighed. "I didn't reject you."

I felt something claw at my throat, wanting to deny his words, to know that they weren't true, but the pain in his voice had me hanging onto his words.

"I don't know what happened, but someone must've gotten into my head." He sighed again, shutting his eyes tightly. "But I would never, ever reject you, Holly."

I felt anger bloom within my as I curled my lips over my teeth, feeling undeniable rage red-hot in my chest, weighing me down.

Jake inhaled sharply when he looked at me, leaning back in his seat, the expression on his face showing his hurt.

But then I softened completely, staring at him. "I believe you."

I watched as a small smile made its way to his face, but it didn't reach his eyes. "You're angry with me."

I shook my head quickly as he went to get up, grabbing his hand in mine. "I'm not angry with you."

"Then what are you so angry about, Holly?" I could hear the stiffness in his voice as his gaze began hardening.

I wanted to recoil away from him, to turn away, because I knew he'd look at me like that at one point or another.

He obviously noticed this, and his features softened completely. He brought his hand up in order to run his finger tips lightly over my cheek, which I realized was slightly swollen, but was healing with the effect of his touch.

"Who hurt you?" I asked instead, which caused him to tense suddenly and he pursed his lips angrily, a distant look coming to his gaze as he seemed to stare straight through me, his hand tightening on my own.

"He claimed his name was Joey." He let out a low growl. "He had a few friends around when I found you."

"What happened?" I asked, knowing that Joey got away, hoping that he didn't.

I wasn't prepared for the next question he threw at me.

"Did he mean anything to you?" His gaze held anger, along with a hint of guilt.

I almost threw up at the thought of him being anything more than a nightmare to me, a nightmare I just couldn't seem to wake up from.

"I hate him more than any words could ever express." I responded, letting out a low growl without realizing it, feeling my supernatural sides almost jumping to the surface at the mere thought of him.