Chapter 8

Holly's Point of View

"Oh my gosh! What the hell happened?!" I said in alarm as I flew from the car to where Jake was sitting on the porch steps, wincing in pain as he nursed his cut lip. Michael and Dave were sitting on either side of him, but stood up as if they were waiting for me.

"Dad tried to kick his ass." Michael growled as I crouched down in front of Jake, gingerly touching his swollen cheek. "He hasn't been healing."

Almost as soon as he said he wasn't healing, the swelling in his cheek went down.

"Your touch can heal me." Jake smiled at me, showing off his bloodied teeth.

"You really shouldn't have fought my father." I said, though my heart swelled with love. "What did he do?"

"He brought up Joey." Dave snarled angrily.

Jakes eyes darkened as he stared at me. He gripped my wrist as I went to pull it away from his cheek. He pulled me into his lap, staring at me intensely as he pressed my hand firmly to his cheek, so that I was cupping his cheek.

"We're you engaged to him?" He asked in a soft voice, though I could hear the anger in his tone, along with the hurt.

I pursed my lips and nodded at him, watching as his eyes filled with hurt and he let go of my hand.

I watched as the cut on his lip instantly stopped healing when I moved away.

Jake stood up, wincing at the movement and I noticed he didn't put any pressure on his right leg. His left arm was held to his chest, as if it were broken.

I made a move to move closer to him, but the look in his eyes told me not to move any closer.

"Did you love him?" He asked, his voice hard.

I could feel the tears in my eyes as I debated on telling him the truth. But I couldn't lie. Not to him.

So I nodded.

He spun on his heel and limped into his house.

I watched after him, hurt that he would turn his back to me.

But then I realized he didn't know the whole story.

I jogged up to him as he made his way onto the porch of the house, gingerly touching his shoulder because he was hurt.

He spun around, the look in his eyes making me recoil in hurt.

"Let me explain." I said, feeling my heart pick up speed at the thought of him not listening.

He pursed his lips, but nodded. He frowned in confusion when I brought my hand up to his cheek and closed my eyes.

It would be easier to show him rather than tell him.

And as I thought back to the day everything went wrong, I felt myself drowning in the memories.

4 years ago

I smiled as Joey walked into the house, a wide smile on his face as he instantly made his way over to me, kissing me softly on the lips.

I was seventeen years old, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a happy ending. And I truly believed my happiness was in him, even though the thought of a mate had crossed my mind many times before.

"Where were you today?" I asked as I turned back to the stove, where I was cooking his favorite meal. Mashed potatoes, steak, corn and gravy. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." He smiled down at me, but I couldn't help but notice the flash in his eyes as he stared at me. "I had some business to take care of. I'm sorry I wasn't here when you woke up this morning."