Chapter 16

I woke up the next morning with a feeling between happiness and dread boiling in the pit of my stomach. I had woken up due to someone shaking me gently.

"What?" I groaned, not quite wanting to wake up even though a part of me argued.

"Holly, we have to leave." Jake's voice came out in a rushed whisper.

I frowned and reluctantly opened my eyes, the dim morning sun giving a bluish tint to the room.

I looked at Jake, seeing a panic in his eyes I had never seen before. "What's going on?"

"I need to get you out of here. Joey is here and he's looking for you and your sister."

I felt every bone in my body wake up instantly at the sound of Joey being here. I cursed him lowly for ruining a happy moment for me.

I sat up, seeing Jake's eyes darken as the sheet fell down, exposing my chest. I blushed and pulled it back up.

Jake growled lowly and turned away from me. No matter the circumstances, it still hurt when he did.

"I've already packed a bag for you so all you have to do is get dressed and we are gone. Your sister is in the garage with the car waiting for us." Jake said, still looking away from me as he stood up and tossed me a tank top and a pair of shorts. He started making his way to the closet. "Be quick so that we can leave as soon as possible."

I sighed and pulled my clothes on before pulling on a pair of sneakers.

Jake came out of the closet as I stood up, wondering what I could do. A large part of me wasn't panicking like I thought I would, but was instead calm because I knew Jake wouldn't let anything happened to me.

Jake handed me a bag filled with my stuff quite roughly, causing me to stumble slightly as he shoved it into my arms.

I inhaled sharply as I adjusted the bag over my shoulder.

Jake picked up the two other duffle bags as I had trouble holding just one of them.

I may be a powerful hybrid, but I still had my weak spots.

I followed Jake swiftly down the stairs and almost made it through the front door when I heard a scream.

I felt my bones go cold at the sound of it.

"Mom." I breathed and went to drop the bag I was holding when Jake roughly grabbed my hand and began pulling me out the door.

I tried to pull my arm from his grip, but his hold only tightened until I feared the bone would snap.

"Let me go." I growled lowly, feeling fear creep through my body as I heard my mothers whimpers up the stairs.

Jake turned towards me and narrowed his eyes in on me. He brought his hand up and I frowned before he had gripped my chin painfully in his hold.

I let out a whimper and saw nothing but anger in his eyes as he stared at me.

"You can stay here with your mother but I am leaving with Holly." He snarled. "So you can drop the act, Leah. You aren't my mate, nor will you ever be."

I felt my jaw drop in shock at his words.

He had mistaken me for my sister.

He released his hold on my jaw and shoved me back roughly in the process.

And he turned his back to me and began making his way through the door.I stepped out the door after him just in time to see Leah climbing the porch steps, sending me a glare and a smirk before Jake had his lips planted on hers.

I felt a sob leave my throat as an indescribable pain filled my chest at the sight.

I turned on my heel snd made my way up the stairs, feeling anger coursethrough through my body when I saw my mother's door smashed to pieces. Not anger at Joey for once, but anger at myself for believing Jake loved me enough to know I wasn't Leah.

I walked into my moms room, seeing her sobbing over Michael, who was breathing  heavily as a wound on his chest healed quickly.

"What are you doing here?" Mom wiped her face clear if tears as she looked at me in confusion. "I told Jake to get you out of here."

"Jake left with Holly." I scowlwd to myself as I crouched down beside my mother and brother.

Mom frowned, but didn't question it.

And it wasn't until later that night that I felt the heartbreaking feeling of my mate being with another female.

I looked over to Liam that night, watching as he stared down at his plate blankly, and I knew he felt it too.

I looked down at my own plate and felt my throat clog with tears before my Mom rubbed my arm gently.

"We have to leave in the morning. Joey will be back." She said softly.

I only nodded and stood from my seat, holding ny head down as I made my way up to the stairs and into Jake and I's room, where I released all my anger, hurt and betrayal.