Chapter 20

I wrapped my arms around his torso from behind, pressing myself firmly into his back as he stumbled from the impact. I closed my eyes tightly and inhaled his scent deeply.

Jake tensed under my hold, but stopped where he stood in the middle of the parking lot with me.

"I didn't have an abortion." I mumbled, shaking my head as I felt the tears prick at my eyes. Tears of the memories where he wasn't by my side helping me get through everything. "I was supposed to have twins."

Jake turned around as he detached me from him. I shook off the depression I felt when I saw the anger in his eyes as he stared at me.

"Joey found us when I was around eight months pregnant." I looked at the ground, the dark pavement which was barely illuminated by the hotel lights. "I lost one of the kids. I figure if I tell everyone I got an abortion instead of it being my fault my baby died, then it would be easier. I tell everyone Trevor is my second child, which isn't a total lie."

"You chose the name I wanted if our child was a boy." He said and when I looked up he was smiling.

I nodded as the tears began to fall down my cheeks. "I looked for you. I thought by the time you marked Leah that you'd know she wasn't me. But it kept happening and I eventually gave up."

Jake cupped my face in his hands, brushing my tears away with his thumbs.

"She got into my head and made me see things that weren't real. I'm sorry for everything. I promise I won't let that happen ever again." He said softly. "And I promise I will never leave you again."

With those words, he pressed his lips softly to mine.

I smiled against his lips, feeling complete as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Do you really live here?" I breathed as he broke his lips from mine when we both needed air.

"No." He responded, his breath blowing across my lips. "I'm just passing through."

I smiled and nodded.

"So what's up with you and Liam?" His voice became distant as he stepped away from me.

I frowned, but didn't move closer to him as a feeling of hurt spread through my body. "I was starting to come to terms with the fact that you weren't coming back and I'd grown attached to Liam."

"You had sex with him." He practically spat the words, making me flinch at his harsh tone, but he didn't soften. "Is that what you do whenever you grow attached to someone?"

I crossed my arms across my chest, suddenly feeling exposed under his harsh gaze even though minutes before he was calm and sweet.

"I didn't think you were coming back." My eyes were on the black pavement of the parking lot and I felt tears prick my eyes again.

"So that gave you the right to sleep with him?" He growled lowly, beginning to pace in front of me as he ran his hands stressfully over his face.

I looked up at him, suddenly feeling angry at him. "What gave you the right to sleep with my sister?" I snapped rather harshly, not failing to notice how my voice shook. "Over and over again. Do you have any clue how much worse that is?"

Jake was suddenly standing in front of me again, gripping my face gently but firmly in his hold as he forced me to look at him. "You are mine." He growled again, this time possessively. "You will always be mine. And to think of another man's hands on what is mine is not okay."

"Then you see how I felt when you were with Leah." I said softly, feeling the fight I had to argue with him quickly leave my body. I hated arguing with him, even if I hadn't seen him in a while.