Chapter 2

"Jake!" Kayla screamed the moment I entered the pack house, running out of the living room in order to tackle me into a hug. "No one said anything when they got back, and you didn't come home, and I started to get worried!"

I chuckled nervously, hearing Holly let out a dangerously low growl. I detached Kayla from my body carefully, setting her back on her feet as she stared at me in confusion.

I turned her around, in order to introduce her to Holly, who was standing a few feet behind her.

"Kayla, this is my mate, Holly. Holly, my, uh, ex-girlfriend, Kayla." I rubbed my neck nervously.

I had no idea what to expect with Kayla's reaction.

"Hi!" Kayla smiled brightly at Holly, holding out her hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm so happy Jake found his mate!"

And she seemed like she seriously was happy for me, the way happiness radiated off of her in waves.

Holly smiled nervously at Kayla, carefully taking her hand and shaking it firmly.

I shook my head at Holly with a small smile.

She was an Alpha, yet she was so shy and small. But I didn't question her power. She was a hybrid Alpha, and that wasn't something to doubt.

"Nice to meet you, too." Holly responded quietly.

And then the front door slammed open, slamming into the wall with a force that vibrated beneath my feet.

"My bad!" A blonde-haired, blue-eyed guy said as he walked through the front door, instantly going to stand by Holly's side, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he pulled her into his side.

"We looked everywhere for you! Where were you?" He said, looking down at Holly with a frown.

"I was standing right here." Holly mumbled, her face flushing pink in embarrassment. "I sent out a message to everyone in the pack that they were allowed on the land."

I frowned as he smiled at her.

Holly turned to me, rolling her eyes as she caught me staring at the man with an arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"This is my brother, Michael." Holly rolled her eyes, shoving him away from her before walking to my side. "And Michael, this is Jake, my mate."

I smiled, wrapping my arm around Holly's waist, pulling her so that her back was pressed against my chest.

Jake looked at Kayla, his eyes widening dramatically before he put on what I guess he though was a charming smile.

"And who may you be?" He asked, grabbing her hand and kissing the back of it softly.

Kayla blushed, avoiding his eyes. "My name is Kayla."

I chuckled as they engaged themselves into a conversation, leaning down so that my lips were pressing against Holly's neck.

She purred lowly, causing me to smirk before she stepped away from me.

I frowned, not enjoying the feel of her not in my arms. She grabbed my hand, though, making the feeling disappear.

"Show me around." She said with a smile.

I smiled in response and walked ahead of her, leading her into the living room.

*

"Is it okay if my pack comes to stay in your pack house?" Holly asked that night, tracing patterns on my chest as we laid in bed.

We had agreed not to do anything major, but we both agreed we probably couldn't stand a night without the other. So we were in my room.

"It's fine, Holly." I chuckled, my fingers brushing through her soft brown hair. "I already said they have permission on our land. How many are in your pack?"

"Twenty-three." She sighed.

"Why so little?" I frowned.

"It's who I've grown up with. They're all guys, though. I've been with them since I was a baby." She responded, snuggling into my chest and inhaling my scent. It didn't seem like she was telling the whole truth, though I didn't press on the matter.

I had to admit, I was a little jealous at that.

"You had to of been born in an actual pack." I responded with a frown. "Right?"

She nodded. "I was in the Royals pack."

I tried to hide my shock, though I didn't do very well.

"Then don't you have family?" I asked.

"My pack are my family." She responded. "The rest of my family were separated a few years after I was born."

"When Rogues attacked your home." I responded, vaguely remembering that time. All the children in the Royal pack were taken away from their families, no one having any clue to where they had been taken. It was a tough story, not all of the details entirely worked out, but it had something to do with the head Royal, the most powerful Alpha in the country.

She nodded stiffly, and I dropped the subject.

"How are you a hybrid?" I asked with a frown after a few seconds. "I've never met one. I thought they were all killed by the wolf council."

"They killed the vampire and wolf hybrids. Vampires are not the Moon Goddess' creation, wolves are. And they don't even out. Witches and wolves are good-natured. They are evened out."

She yawned after she finished speaking, her nose and eyes scrunching up as she did so. She closed her eyes tiredly.

"What time is it?" She mumbled, cuddling into my chest.

"Almost midnight." I responded, wrapping my arm around her as I pulled her closer to me. "Get some sleep."

She nodded. "Goodnight Jake."

Even as she yawned tiredly, my name coming out of her mouth still had shivers running through my body, my wolf howling in joy.

"Goodnight Holly." I responded with a smile.

Her breathing evened out not long after and her grip on me slackened, even though she only snuggled closer to me.

I smiled, following her into sleep not long after.