Chapter 5

Holly's Point of View

I woke up early the next morning alone. I had almost had a heart attack, until I heard Jake's voice outside of the bedroom door, his footsteps indicatinghe was pacing back and forth, worriedly.

It was dark outside, it being the new moon and all. I threw my legs over the side of the bed, noticing I was wearing one of Jake's t shirts over my bra and underwear. I placed my feet on the soft carpet and stood up quietly.

I opened the room door quietly, causing Jake to stop and smile at me as I did so. "Why are you up?"

"I could ask you the same." I responded as he came to stand in front of me.

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into his chest. "I'm just thinking. Why are you up?"

I shrugged. "Your arms weren't around me."

It was true. I didn't feel safe when I wasn't near him or touching him.

He chuckled. "Sorry. I couldn't sleep."

"What's on your mind?" I asked, closing my eyes as I leaned my head on his chest. "You seem worried."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair befire stepping away from me. My body went cold at the instant loss of contact. I felt my heart drop, afraid of what he was going to say.

"Well, for one, I don't think it's a very good idea that our packs join together." He sighed, rubbing a hand over his face stressfully. "It's not that I don't want to, but I feel something would go wrong if we did."

My heart dropped further. "And?"

He stared at me, long and hard for a moment before he smiled nervously. "Do you think we're rushing into this? I mean, I know nothing about you."

I could feel my heart beating loudly in my chest, but I held myself up. "Isn't that the point of getting to know someone?"

He turned away from me, starting to pace back and forth again. "I can't do this. Not now."

And, like a bucket of cold water, reality came crashing down onto me. I wasn't wanted. I was being rejected. "What is your point in saying this?"

He avoided my gaze as I crossed my arms across my chest. "I'm rejecting you, Holly."

And something inside of me snapped.

I pursed my lips, walking past him before making my way down the pack stairs, not caring that I was only wearing his t shirt on my small form.

I felt the tears gather in my eyes as I soon found myself outside, running as tears flowed down my face. I heard Jake call out after me just as I shifted into my large, white wolf. I released a growl as I dashed through the trees, my wolf taking over copletely.

And then I heard him.

My worst nightmare, my worst fear.

And it made me even more angrier and scared than I had ever been in my life.

*

Jake's Point of View

I woke up early in the morning, passed out on the living room couch as the sun began to rise. My head was pounding and I felt like shit.

I couldn't feel Holly anywhere in the house, which made me worried, but I shook the feeling off. Holly was tough, I could hope she knew how to take care of herself.

I sat up, groaning as I brought a hand to my forehead. I stood to my feet and made my way outside in order to sit on the front porch.

I began to feel my own worry as I sat on the porch stairs, feeling Holly no where to be found.

A pack member, Nick, who was one of my best fighters in the pack, walked past me, but I stopped hI'm before he could enter the house.

"Yes, Alpha?" He bowed his head respectfully as I came to stand on my feet.

"Have you seen my mate? You may not of let her formally yet, but she carries my scent." I didn't bother to hide the sorry in my voice.

At this, Nick frowned. "You rejected her a few hours ago, Alpha. The whole pack heard it."

I felt my blood run cold.

"I didn't reject her." I said, though a part of me knew what he was saying was true. "Which way did she travel?"

"Northeast." He said, nodding when I thanked him.

I shifted and began heading north, it not being long until I picked up my mates scent, mixed with another males.

I followed the scent carefully, as if not to make any mistakes with her scent, to get it confused with another females.

And then I saw her.

She was unconscious on the ground, her breathing low and uneven. A man stood over her, his eyes glowing red and his breathing heavy.

He snarled once he spotted me, and I felt my mind screaming out to me.

This man was a hybrid.

Except he was a vampire hybrid.