Trouble

I walked out of the library dejectedly. Another fruitless search this week. No noted events about the darkness. No clue on how to destroy it. I didn't even know what it was. Dilan followed closely behind.

"I'm sure we'll find something soon." Dilan said, but I didn't miss  the uncertainty in his voice. He had volunteered to help me after a frustrating day at training and we scoured the entire library, searching almost all the book filled sections, all the files, but we came up with nothing.

I gave him an appreciative smile as we walked out, into the palace yard. The sky was sunny out, hardly melting away my dissapointed mood. Dilan suddenly stopped in his tracks and stared at me, a goofy grin plastered on his face.

"What?" I asked, awkwardly shifting from one foot to another, because of the way he was looking at me.

He just grabbed my wrist and pulled me to who knows where, without answering. I ran with him, barely able to keep up with his long strides. When we stopped by a wooden structure, I began to protest, but then stopped when I came face to face with a white, four legged mammal.

I screamed and jumped back. The sound of laughter greeted me when I bumped into Dilan.

"For someone with amazing powers, you're quite squirmish." He said, still laughing. I quickly shifted away from my position, where I had latched onto him.

I stood and folded my arms accross my chest and frowned at the grinning prince.

"Why are we here?"

"We are going to ride."

"I don't need to, I can fly remember." I said pointedly at my wings. The horse nuzzled into my neck, blowing hot air through its nose. I froze as it toyed with my hair.

"Come on, she likes you." Dilan said with a pout. "Just look at her." It was like the prince and the horse had partnered up to break me. I groaned and reluctantly agreed, which I couldn't help but think was a mistake.

Dilan was handed his own black mount by a stable hand, while I eyed mine warily.

"Anytime now, princess." He said with a mischievous glint in his eyes. I ignored the nickname and stood right where I was."What?"
"I can't ride." He looked at me like I had grown two heads. Then, his expression grew into a wide grin. I got of his horse and came to me.

"Here." He said helping up on the horse, though I could easily fly onto it.

"Now, reigna is a good horse and she'll be easy to ride." He smiled reassuringly. "Take hold of the reigns like this....." That was what we spent the next few minutes doing. He taught me the basics of riding and led the horse into a slow walk, enough for me to get used to it. When he thought I was ready, he let me go on my own.

The I wobbled slightly as the horse beneath me walked slowly. Dilan settled at the same pace beside me and cheered me on. Gradually, I nudged the horse to increase its pace. I was getting the hang of it.

The horse went faster and my hair flitted on my face, pushed back me by the breeze. I laughed at the exhilarating feeling. It was almost like flying, the cool wind hitting my skin, and stinging my eyes in a pleasurable way, as we moved past the blurry surroundings.

I stopped the horse the way the prince had taught me to, and let our a joyful shout. Dilan wasn't far behind.

"Woah. You catch on fast. That was the shortest time I've ever seen anyone take to learn to ride a horse." He jumped down from his horse and so did I. "Tell me princess, were you just pulling my leg to spend more time with me?"

"No. I've never been on a horse, till now. That's the last thing I'd trying doing, mr perfect." I said, a new feeling of euphoria filling me up. I started to get on the horse, but he pulled me back by my waist and spun me to face him.