Dinner and a show.

After the incident with the prince, I made sure to stay as far away from him as possible. He was clearly in no condition to go on with training so that helped. I spent most of the day in the garden. I was finding it a little bit hard to keep my feet on the ground.

Walking was not unusual to me, but I had grown accustomed to using my wings, so naturally, walking felt a bit outlandish. Despite the unfamiliarity, I tried as much as possible to stay on the ground, so as not to draw attention to myself.

Later that evening, I had been invited by the queen, to have dinner with the royal family.  In my room, skin prickling with with anxiety, I all but quietly sat on the chair by the vanity, as Ira battled my hair. I wasn't making it easy for her.

"Keep still Aria." She said previously, clearly frustrated.

"I'm sorry Ira. I'm just worried. What if I say the wrong thing? What if I do the wrong thing? What if I send the prince flying across the room again?"

She laughed and dropped the brush on the vanity. She stood in front of me, and turned me from my sideways position, to face the mirror.

"You look beautiful." She said and smiled. "Just act naturally and it will all fall into place. And if all else fails, just make a beeline for the window."

I smacked her arm playfully. Then there was a knock on the door. I walked over and opened it, to see Devan on the other side.

"Sorry to interrupt your party girls, but we have to go." I gave him a once over. He was dressed in an outfit equally casual as my light blue knee length gown. It had a bit of embroidery at the hem and waist. But that was it. I sighed in relief of my choice of clothing, then walked out of the room with Ira.

"Good luck." she said before hugging me and walking in the other direction.

                                                                           ♤♤♤♤♤

The moment we entered the room, I knew it was usually an all  family affair, with only few people present. Devan was close enough to the royal family to eat with them. The room only consisted of the queen,  prince Dilan, me, Devan and another man talking to the prince.

Upon noticing my presence, the queen approached me with a warm smile. "Welcome. Come sit, dinner is about to be served." She guided me to a seat opposite prince Dilan's and beside Devan's.

Dinner was served and light chitchat began to flow around the room. The man I saw earlier was introduced to me as Butler, another one of the prince's childhood friends. They both were apparently his royal guards before I came.

I suddenly felt silly about fretting earlier. It was just dinner, not some big social event.

Soon conversation began to drift towards me. "How did your first training go?" The queen asked.

"It went well, I guess." I said,  my mind flashing back to the events of earlier that day.

"How do you find her abilities, Dilan? "

"We tested one. It showed, slight promise." The prince said cautiously.

"I'm glad to hear that."

"I was quiet impressed. She shows exemplary sparring skills, and managed to beat Dilan, finishing it off nicely." Devan added, and gained a glare from the prince.

"I'm glad to know that you've shown so much progress in one training."

"Yes, it's nice to know we are handing the kingdom's welfare over to someone who doesn't completely lack skill." The prince said dryly. I shot him a glare. His mother did the same.