THIRTY-SIX: Sapori Veri

The closer it get's to 7:30 the more excited I become. I have a strong feeling that the evening would be a fun one and I just couldn't wait.

"I think you missed a spot Mitchell." I stop wiping down the booth and turn to see Charlie wearing his usual charming smile.

I give him a quick hug, and silently admire how good he smells."I wasn't done smart ass."

"Ugh, whatevs. I was just making sure you like, did your job right." He says in a weirdly high pitched Valley girl accent.

I shake my head and lightly smack his arm. "I'll be done in a few. I just have to clear off a few tables and clock out."

"Alright."

"Is there, umm. Anything I can get you?" I ask. He sits down in the booth and leans back against the plush cream colored cushions.

"Uh yeah, can you get me a glass of water and a blueberry scone."

I roll my eyes. "Of course your bougie ass would want a scone." I tease.

"Is that anyway to talk to a loyal and valued customer? Do I need to speak to your manager young lady?"

I stick my tongue out and walk away to put his order in. When I look towards the cash register I see that Grant is still taking orders.

"Hey, wasn't Ricky supposed to be here by now?"

"Uh yeah, he was supposed to be here an hour ago." He said as he handed a woman her change and receipt.

"An hour? Have you called him?"

"No, I've been kinda busy. You think you could take over here for a few minutes while I do?"

I look back over to Charlie, who's in the corner booth tapping his phone screen. "Uh yeah sure."

"Thanks." He says, before taking off.

I put in Charlie's order and pay for it with some of my own cash. It's the least I could do considering that he was about to take me out to a restaurant and insist on footing the bill. And while Grant was out calling in Ricky the Greasy Slacker, I took orders at the register.

When he came back he looks more annoyed than when he left. I handed a young girl her change and receipt before handing over a coffee cup to Ingrid the pretty redheaded barrista.

"What happened?" I ask as the customer in front of me decided what she wanted.

"He's not going to be here for another twenty minutes."

"So basically he's only taking on an extra hour before his shift?"

Grant nods with his lips pressed together. "Pretty much."

"I'm sorry Grant." I step aside and let him take over the register again.

"It's not your fault. Thanks for taking over."

"No problem." I squeeze his shoulder a bit before going to clear my last table.

When I walk past him on the way to the employee lounge to clock out I start to feel bad. Grant wanted to spend the evening hanging out with his friends before he was forced to tackle his math homework, something he always dreaded.

I want to help, but I didn't want to keep Charlie waiting any longer. Besides, I was hungry. So I clocked out, and settled for knowing that Grant could always hang out with Lenny and Adam tomorrow. And next time, he'll think twice about split-covering a shift with Ricky.

I quickly change out of my work uniform and into a salmon colored cropped sweater and ripped jeans. After I'm done pulling on my boots I walk to Oliver's office to say goodbye and then back towards the front counter where Grant was still taking orders.