NINETEEN: Homecoming

* March 26, 2017 *

Today is homecoming day.

The Queens have been going crazy trying to prepare for us to move in, especially Miranda. She was absolutely off the chain.

She had called at least twenty times asking if we wanted a party, what we wanted to eat, where we'd like to go, if we minded having a DJ, and what kind of music we wanted to listen to. From my knowledge there would be at least thirty new faces there; some of Miranda's closest friends, her parents, her siblings, and even some of Oliver's friends and family.

After packing all of our things into the trunk of Sally's minivan, we are on the freeway riding in anticipation. Maya was beside herself with excitement while Serena was abnormally quiet. Sally, looked slightly sad since we probably wouldn't be seeing her much—if at all—after today. She had definitely gotten attached to all three of us, and now that we would be gone she'd have to start over with another set of kids if she continued to foster.

I close my Allegiant book, and sigh as I look out of the window. It was slightly cloudy, but seeing as we were in California where the weather was bipolar as hell, I'm pretty sure the sun would be making an appearance in a couple of hours.

Once we spend over two hours in traffic, we finally make it to the pretty suburban neighborhood the Queens resided in. Immediately after turning onto their street we can spot their house. There was a large banner that said Welcome, and a grand white and purple balloon arch in front of the door.

There was music blasting and I can hear and see a group of people coming in and out of the backyard. Sally pulls into the driveway and parks and as soon as we step out of the car Miranda and Oliver come running out of the house.

"You're here!" She squeals. She opens her arms and Maya and Serena go running into them. I shoot them both a small smile before helping Sally unload our luggage.

"I can get this." Oliver says before reaching for my suitcase.

"It's alright I can take this." I pull my case closer, not really knowing why I was clinging so tightly to my belongings. I did have some antique jewelry from my grandmother and some old photos, but I'm pretty sure the Queens had things that were a lot more valuable.

"If you insist little lady." He smiles and helps Sally take out Serena's trunk. When he looks over his shoulder he motions to someone. "Grant come give me a hand will you?"

"Yes sir." I turn to see Grant jogging down the long winding driveway with a wide smile on his face.

"Hello."

"Hi." Grant takes Serena's trunk from Oliver and walks alongside me. He doesn't really say anything, which makes it a little awkward.

Should I say something?

I pass the threshold only to be ambushed by a million strangers. My eyes widen as an older brown haired woman pulls me into her arms. "Oh my dear child! You look famished! Were you fed? Oh we're going to have to put some meat on those bones! Don't worry you'll be well taken care of from here on out—"

"Mom! Please!" Miranda looks mortified.

"What?" The woman looks at Miranda with an annoyed expression.

"Come on Alana honey, let's get your things up to your room." She says as she places her hand on my back to guide me towards the stairs.

"I'm sorry about her, she really has no filter sometimes." She says once we get out of earshot.

"It's fine." I shrug.

We make it upstairs and Miranda opens the door for me. Like last time, my room was pretty bare with only an empty desk, a TV on the wall, a chest of drawers, and a bed.

"Oliver and I are both taking a couple of days off to help you guys get settled in. I'll be taking you girls shopping for some new school clothes, and you can get some decorations for the room and all that good stuff." Miranda sits on the edge of the bed and smiles.

"Thanks." I set my suitcase by the bed and stick my hands in my back pockets.

"I'll give you a moment to breathe. I know all of this can be a little overwhelming. Come downstairs when you're ready Hun."

I nod silently, and Miranda leaves the room, closing the door behind her. I could still hear the music blaring downstairs but I truly had no desire to join the party. I wish I could just stay in here forever, but of course it would only be a matter of time before my sisters come and harass me.

I begin unpacking, softly humming Boulevard of Broken Dreams, a song that's been in my head for the past week. I gently bob my head to the soulful music playing in my mind, and for just a moment I am in my own peaceful zone.

There's a knock on the door and I already knew it was one of my sisters.

"Look I'll be downstairs in a sec, can I just have a moment?" I say somewhat irritated. I really wasn't in the mood for Serena's speeches or Maya's whining.

"Sorry. I just-I'll um just leave this here. You can have it if you want it."

I swirl around and watch Grant place a glass of lemonade on top of the chest of drawers.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I thought you were one of my sisters."

Grant shrugs and stuffs his hands into the pocket of his jeans. "It's fine, to be fair they were about to come up and drag you down kicking and screaming but I told them that you probably wanted your space."

My head tilts to the side, as if that would somehow help me feel any less about the situation. How could he have known I wanted to be alone, he didn't know me in the slightest. "Really? You told my sisters that."

He nods before backing up towards the door. "Yeah, I did."

I uncross my arms, and press my palms against together. I didn't know what to say. Should I be thanking him?

"Anyway, I'll leave you alone. I didn't mean to bother you, I just thought you might like something to drink."

"Thanks Grant."

His eyes crinkle after a smile takes over his face. "Your welcome."

He closes the door behind him and I'm left alone again. I stare at the glass still feeling confused. I wasn't used to people other than my close family being nice to me. While I had expected Miranda and Oliver to be somewhat nice, I didn't expect someone like Grant to do something like this.

Gosh I'm so pathetic.

I mean here I am feeling shocked about a cute guy coming into my room to give me a glass of freaking lemonade. It's not like he had flirted with me, or trying to sweep me off my feet with some romantic gesture.

He was just being nice.

I sigh and sink into the mattress of my new bed. Looking up into the plain white ceiling, I watch as the fan spins rapidly.

And thirty minutes after I finished unpacking, I still didn't want to go downstairs.

But I did anyway.

The party was still in full swing, with people swaying to the upbeat music and socializing. I spot Serena and Sarah laying in their bathing suits talking calmly. When Serena catches sight of me her lips curve upward into a pleased smirk, while Sarah stared impassively—although I'm pretty sure she wanted to murder me.

I hear Maya giggling and squealing, and when I turn to face her I see that she's in the pool flailing her floaty wearing arms. Miranda stands behind her in the shallow end holding onto her, and trying to teach her to swim. I'm standing alone for only a split second before someone's hand is on my shoulder.

"Hey Alana, I'm glad you finally made it down. Are you ready to meet some folks?" Oliver smiles and pats my shoulder gently.

"Uh yeah." 

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

♡ V o t e ♡

          ☆ C o m m e n t ☆

                              ♡ S h a r e ♡