SEVEN: A Hard-Knock Life

"May we come in?" Officer Lance asks. I step aside allowing them entry and close the door.

"Who was— "Serena's eyes get large as she sees the two officers standing in the room.

"Serena, can you go and help Maya study her spelling words?" She nods silently, not taking her eyes off of Officer Lance and Officer Lima. She was probably thinking about the same thing I was.

"Now please." I add. She turns on her heels and quickly disappears.

I turn back towards the officers with my arms firmly crossed. Officer Lima looks at Officer Lance before she finally looks me in my eyes.

"You might want to take a seat?"

"I'll stand thank you. To what do I owe this visit?" Officer Lance purses his lips before answering. Officer Lance pulls out a plastic bag from his pocket containing keys and an ID.

"Do you know this woman?" He holds of the ID and I recognize it as my mother—or at least that's what she used to look like before she became an alcoholic and a drug abuser.

"Yes that's my mom."

"Well she was found dead yesterday morning in a motel. We believe she overdosed on cocaine."

What? My mother was dead?

I stayed silent, shocked by the news although I probably shouldn't have. It was only a matter of time before this happened...but still.

"We can't leave you here alone. Do you have any family or relatives that you can stay with?"

I shake my head.

"No one at all? Your father? Aunt's? Uncles? Grandparents? Cousins?" Officer Lima asks.

"My father's dead. He was an only child. His mother is dead. My mother's sister is dead and the rest of her family lives in Mexico. So no, there's no one."

I knew exactly what would happen after I revealed that there was no one left to take care of me and my siblings. I had to quickly explain to Maya what was happening and calm her down when she started to freak out. We were then allowed to pack a suitcase each before being picked up by Child Protective Services and taken to our new temporary home.

* February 3, 2017 *

It's been three weeks since we've been placed in one of the shittiest group homes ever. In such a short period of time, I've managed to get into three physical fights, several heated arguments with the lady in charge of the foster home, and rub our incompetent caseworker the wrong way.

I slip on the only pair of jeans I managed to pack and a sweatshirt before throwing my hair into a simple bun. Then I make sure that Maya and Serena were dressed decently as well, because today we had another meeting with our caseworker.

"Why do we have to see that woman again? She's mean." Maya whines.

"Because she's the one who is going to find us a new family. Didn't you say you wanted a new mommy?" I place all my small valuables like my money, my jewelry, and my laptop into my backpack since I didn't trust the three stupid bullies that lived here.

"Yes, but I don't like her."

"Neither do I but we have to deal with her for now."