TWENTY-EIGHT: Heavydirtysoul

Quick A/N: If you haven't heard Heavydirtysoual by Twenty One Pilots then I don't know what you're doing. Anyway, when I was editing this chapter this song immediately came to mind. So I thought I'd just name the chapter after the song. Lol now back to the story.

***

On the ride home Charlie is blasting Twenty One Pilots, and tapping on the steering wheel as he sang along. This time he doesn't sound like a dying manatee, which was a relief because I liked Twenty One Pilots and I would be mad if Charlie ruined it for me.

When he pulls into the driveway and parks behind Miranda's car I'm wishing that the night wasn't over. I hadn't had this much fun since...well I can't even really remember.

I climb out of the car and Charlie walks me to the doorstep. I'm reaching into my pocket for my keys when Charlie clears his throat.

"So..."

I look up, and see that Charlie is looking down at his shoes. "So...?"

"I hope you had a good time. I know I did." He admits.

"Yeah, this was actually really fun. Who knew I'd like hanging out with such a pervy jerk?" A small smile is on my face, and I feel my cheeks heat a bit.

Charlie chuckles and shakes his head. "And who knew I'd like hanging out with a feisty pint-sized, smart-mouthed, know-it-all?"

I smack his arm and tuck a strand of stray hair behind my ear and away from my face. "I'm glad you had a good time. Maybe we can do this again sometime."

"Yeah, that sounds cool to me."

Charlie smiles, but this time he's looking at something over my shoulder. I turn and see Maya and Serena in the window. Maya's flashes us a cheesy smile and starts waving at us rapidly.

I groan and turn back around. "What are they doing still up?"

Charlie shrugs and waves back at Maya. "They're probably waiting for you."

"Yeah, I guess..." Charlie turns back to me and I'm momentarily lost for words. "Well I umm...I know you have to go so I won't keep you any longer. Text me when you get back to your dorm?"

Charlie's smile widens. "Look at you all concerned for my safety."

I roll my eyes and shrug off his jacket. "Goodnight Charlie."

I hand back his jacket and find that the door was already cracked open.

"Goodnight Alana." All traces of humor is gone, replaced with a more sincere look. I nod and I walk into the house. Once the door is closed, I look through the peephole and watch as Charlie walks back to his car.

When his car is out of sight I turn back to see that Miranda, Oliver, Serena, and Maya were all settled comfortably around the electric fireplace. Smooth jazz played on the stereo as Maya and Serena scooted closer to the coffee table full of board games.

"Soooooo how was it?" Miranda sings. She uncurled from Oliver's arms and sits up excitedly, like an overstimulated teen craving fresh and juicy gossip.

"It was fun. I had a good time." I smile, and find myself slightly embarrassed. I feel like my evening with Charlie should be kept between me and him. But why? It was just two friends playing mini golf and riding a few carnival rides.

At least that's what I want to believe.

Deep down I feel like it turned into a lot more than just that. Maybe it was me just being naive. This was all still new to me.