EIGHTEEN: The Happy Pills

* March 20, 2017 *

After being on the happy pills for a week, I find that I don't feel much different.

I guess it would take longer to settle in. So I guess until then, I'll continue feeling like shit.

It's strange to think that a mental illness could be so physical. Most of my physical symptoms like the headaches, the stomach aches, back pains, insomnia, and fatigue had bothered me way before I started feeling so "down." I now had Sally spending half of the money she got from the government on getting me Ibuprofen.

But now it was time for me to make my decision. I've been thinking about it for days and I've decided to put my sisters first. They really liked the Queen family, and the Queens—well with the exception of Sarah—liked them back. I knew that if I had said no then Maya and Serena would turn them down to stay with me, and I didn't want that. They deserved a stable home and a loving family.

While Sally is out working she asked her friend Tammy to watch over my sisters and I. Really all she did was sit on her big butt and watch episode after episode of Desperate Housewives.

But it didn't really bother me that much. I just took that time to walk down to my sister's room because it was time I had told them what I've decided.

Maya is on the bed laying on her stomach. With her hair pulled into a pony tail, I could see the slight frown on her face as she concentrated hard on the papers in front of her. Seated on the other bed was Serena who had borrowed my laptop to look at some YouTube makeup tutorials.

As I slowly close the door behind me the both look up pleasantly surprised. "Alright guys, we need to talk about this adoption thing."

Serena pauses the video and shuts the laptop giving me her full attention while Maya cupped her cheek and continued drawing.

"So you've made up your mind?" Serena sighs.

"I have. I want to move in with the Queens." I lie—well it wasn't a complete lie I guess. I did want to move in with the Queens, but only because I knew that my sisters would end up choosing to stay in foster care with me if I chose not to. And if they had done that, well they'd only resenting me in the long run.

Maya's face lights up. She rolls off of the bed and runs over to me so she can give me a tight squeeze.

"Sheesh Maya! You're cutting off my oxygen." I grunt.

Maya smiles and let's go of me. "I'm happy LaLa. This means we get our new family! I like Miss Miranda she's a nice mommy and Mr. Oliver is a nice daddy."

"They are." At least I think, we have only had maybe eight visitations with them with only one being overnight. It's easy to hide imperfections and pretend to be perfect when you're around people for a short period of time.

"I'm glad you've come to your senses." Serena folds her arms and leans back on the headboard of her bed.

"Yeah sure..." I look down at my horribly thin nails and sigh. "The thing is, we need to discuss Sarah. She doesn't want us to move in with her, so you guys can expect some hostility if this is what we're really doing. Plus, we haven't met the rest of the family yet."

"Please, we've all dealt with worse. We can handle Sarah. As long as we're together we can take on whatever comes our way because no matter what we'll have each other."

I smirk and cross my arms. "When did you become so wise?"

Seriously, it was like she had aged years in a matter of months. I guess that's what happens when you become an orphan and the person you're used to leaning on breaks.