THIRTEEN: It's A Small World

Three people singing at the top of their lungs was not helping my headache at all.

I sat in the backseat quietly rubbing my forehead and wishing I had something to dull the pain. Looking forward into the passenger seat I could see that Sarah wasn't too happy about the Karaoke trio either.

Finally, Shake It Off comes to an end just as we arrive at the Queen's family business. Maya presses her hand and cheek to the window as she looked at the building.

Queen Palace, was a relatively popular establishment. It was a Saturday night, and just from looking through the large glass windows I could see that it was packed with people.

"Is Mr. Queen going to join us for dinner?" I ask. Miranda parks the car in a space directly in front of the parlor and nods.

"Yes, he's going to work for another hour or so and then take the rest of the evening of to be with us."

Sarah scoffs before pushing the door open. "That's a first."

Miranda narrows her eyes at Sarah before getting out of the car and opening the door for Maya. Meanwhile, I slip my hands into my pockets and exit the car.

"This place looks nice. You think the ice-cream is any good?" Serena asks.

"Well there was a lot of good reviews when I Googled it a couple of weeks ago. So I guess it might be." I shrug.

"I guess there's only one way to find out."

When we enter the bakery/ice cream shop I'm instantly hit by the smell of sugar and freshly baked bread. The place looked like an old 50's style ice cream parlor with pink walls and a black and white checkered flooring. A catchy pop tune played on the speakers, and the room was loud from all the lively chatter.

I notice that there were a few older people sitting down eating and drinking coffee and a whole bunch of teenagers laughing, and socializing happily. This definitely looked like the place to be, and I was glad that I would get a chance to try the desserts myself.

Mr. Queen waves at us as soon as he catches sight of us from behind the counter and finishes placing a small brown box into a plastic bag.

"Alright, Oliver is busy so I guess we can just find a seat and he'll send someone over." Miranda takes Maya's hand and points to a the only free booth near the corner.

"Is there a restroom here?" I ask, suddenly feeling the need to pee.

Miranda nods and points behind me. Sure enough there was a jukebox not far from the entrance to the women's restroom.

"I have to go too!" Maya whines.

"Okay then. Go with your sister. I'll meet you guys over at the booth." I nod and take Maya's tiny hand.

As we weave through tables and crowds of people lining up to order something, I hear a familiar voice.

I freeze and smile as I notice Charlie smiling back at me. He was wearing a black hoodie that read Carmichael Preparatory Academy in bold red letters, and a pair of matching black warm-up pants.

"Hmmm it's a small world after all." He says with a warm smile. Maya peers up at him through her lashes and I could see her blushing. Not that I blame her at all, Charlie must have had that effect on every girl he encountered.

"It must be."

"But it is a long way from Los Angeles, what are you doing out here?"

"My sisters and I are actually staying with the Queen's for the weekend. What brings you here?" I of course omitted the reason for our visit. He didn't need to know that we were orphans seeking to be adopted by the Queens.