THREE: Last Christmas

December 17, 2015

Like most people, I used to get excited as winter break approached. Now I feel more stressed than ever.

The vacation periods were always the hardest. We didn't have school, so we didn't have the free breakfast and lunch that was served. That meant that we couldn't scrounge the cafeteria for unopened and unwanted food that people would simply leave out or throw away. Because I wasn't in school, I couldn't hustle and make a few extra bucks selling chips and candy to classmates during passing period. I also had to find someone to watch my sisters while I was working.

I left school early so that I could be on time to pick up Maya. I pull out my cheap prepaid cellphone and dial Mrs. Lincoln's number. "Hello, Mrs. Lincoln? This is Alana."

"Oh hello Alana, how are you doing Miss Thang?" she asks sweetly.

"I'm doing fine, thanks."

"Alright. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I was actually calling about Maya and Serena. Winter break is coming up and they'll be out of school soon. I was wondering if there was a chance that you'd be willing to watch them while I worked?"

"Of course! Just let me know when they'll be coming."

The school bell rang and I could see all the little kids running out of their classrooms.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Lincoln."

"No thank you! I'm so excited. I needed someone to help me bake my treats and cakes this year."

I laugh, as I watch Maya skip towards me. "I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help. Especially Maya, she loves baking with you."

Maya's eyes widen and the mention of baking. I smile and meet Serena halfway to the nearest bus stop. I end the call, thanking Mrs. Lincoln once more, and feel a small portion of the weight lifting from my shoulders.

"Mrs. Lincoln has agreed to babysit you two while I work at the Swap Meet. She says she needs help baking."

"Yay! I love baking! She always let me taste the cookies and cakes!" Maya bounces up and down and Serena just smiles.

"You're working at the Swap Meet?" Serena raises a brow at the news.

"Yes, it's a seasonal job that'll only last for the next two weeks. We could use the extra cash."

"And what are we doing for Christmas this year?" Serena looks weary and Maya's face falls.Clearly they weren't excited about the up and coming holidays.

You see, my dad died December 29, 2013, after he was shot by a drunk hoodlum. Since then, Christmas has never been quite the same.

December 25, 2014

My mother has been gone for three days. She says that it was because she had to go on a business trip to Las Vegas, but I wasn't stupid. She was probably renting out a motel room and drinking herself into a stupor.

Maya was only three and she vaguely remembered Dad or what Christmas used to be like here in the Mitchell home. It used to be such a beautiful time of year.

We used to spend Christmas Eve with my Abuela. Serena and I would help her cook tamales and pasole. She'd also make this amazing sweet bread called Pan Dulce, which we'd always take home and eat on Christmas morning.

On Christmas morning my father would take us to church where we would pray and give thanks for all of our blessings. Then we'd under three different freeways and give small care packages to the homeless that lived there.