TWENTY-TWO: No Air

Grant may not be super outgoing, but once he's comfortable around you, he'll talk your ear off

I'm flipping through, the decathlon information packet from Mr. Halstead, while he goes on and on about the last episode of the Flash. Which even I had to admit was getting pretty good...

Grant holds the open the door to the courtyard, and lets me slide past him. "Hey, what's that?"

"Oh, it's umm this information packet about the upcoming Decathlon. Mr. Halstead wanted me to try-out."

"You should! You're crazy smart. I mean didn't you get like a perfect score on your SAT?"

I tuck a strand of hair that escaped my ponytail behind my ear and shake my head. "I got a 2230, not a perfect. And that doesn't mean I'm smart enough to compete against over two hundred people from across the region."

Grants face went slack. "Wow, so we're just going to act like getting a near perfect score on the SAT is normal? Whatever, I think you can give those other schools a run for their money."

"It's nice that you think so." I shrug as we reach the lunch line.

"You should try out anyway. I mean, it wouldn't hurt would it?" He grabs a slice of "healthy, low calorie" pizza and some celery sticks before sliding farther down the line.

"I guess not. I'll have to ask Miranda and Oliver if it's okay. They meet after school three times a week. Oliver would have to change my work schedule and Maya would need a babysitter on Thursdays." I opt for a small salad and slide closer to Grant who was so hungry that he already started munching on his celery sticks.

"I'm sure neither of them would mind. And does practice run after our shift at the Palace? If so I can pick you up and give you a ride home when it's over. You know... if you need one." Grant fumbles in his pocket for his wallet and pays for his food.

"Thanks, I appreciate the offer." I reach into my pocket and pull out a crisp twenty to hand to the lunch lady.

I get my change back and turn around in time to see Grant peering over the crowded tables.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I don't see my friends at our table. Come on we can sit and I'll try to find out where they are." I nod as relief flooded into my body. I had a few more minutes to prepare myself.

I grip my tray tightly and follow Grant through the crowded maze of tables. He looks over his shoulders at me a few times, probably making sure that I didn't run off or get lost among the mass of people. We reach the table, which was settled in front of one of the windows that gave us a view of the courtyard, and Grant pulls out his phone.

I eat quietly and watch as he dials and redials numbers on his phone.

"No one's picking up?" I ask.