0.36

Chapter 36: Prepare For The Worst

Amaya Hill was frozen in her spot, her phone left ringing in her hand as she stood in the middle of Sam Uley's kitchen. "Hey bug."

Finally finding her words, she answered the phone. "Jordan."

"Dad works too, you know."

"It would if he was in my life, but he isn't so, Jordan it is."

A deep breath was taken from the other end, and in the background she could hear soft music playing. "I'm sorry, Bug. I know I'm not around much, I just can't be in that house anymore. It hurts too much."

"Yeah, I'm very aware." Her voice was cold and cruel and the pack was very obviously eavesdropping, the TV turned on mute and all of them completely silent. "You left me in it all alone since Mom died, and everyday I have to look at those walls and be reminded of her face."

"Amaya—"

"Is there a reason for this call?"

The mood of the conversation was set, detached. "I just wanted to make sure you were alright, I haven't gotten a call from the banks like I usually do."

"That's because I'm eighteen now, I'm a legal adult and had the house payments put in my name."

"All of it? The electricity too?"

"The electricity, my car, the mortgage, all of it is in my name. I'm doing just fine on my own."

There was a pause on his end. "You're growing up so fast."

"You wouldn't know because you aren't here to see it. Just do your part and make the money, I'll do the rest. Don't call me again." She ended the call with a click of the screen, dropping the phone on the counter and leaning forward, resting her head in her hands.

"Everything okay?" Amaya jumped up, forcing a smile on her face. Shaky fingers lifted to run through her hair as she faced Emily, the woman still gorgeous with her scars.

"Yeah, of course." The blonde walked across the small kitchen, distracting herself with the food left out to be cooked. "Just nervous for tomorrow, I guess."

The dark haired woman stood beside her, watching the teenager with caring brown eyes. "You know, Sam won't be mad if you decide that you want to sit this out?"

"As tempting as that sounds, I'm actually looking forward to be apart of the fight."

"Why? You hate Bella."