0.20

Chapter 20: Unleash the Beast

Amaya Hill knew going to the movies was a terrible idea, the planned group of people being narrowed down to four. Bella, Mike, Jake and herself. It was incredibly awkward standing between them, watching both fight for dominance as both men had a crush on the brunette who was completely oblivious to their affections. "What happened to the group?"

"Got sick," Mike simply answered, he himself looking a little under the weather. "Pretty sure there's some flu going around."

Conversation died down quickly until Bella came back, four tickets in her hand. "Movie starts in five so we should get popcorn and stuff now so we can get a good seat and bypass the credits." When neither guy answered, both still staring at one another she looked at Amaya, raising her eyebrows before clicking her tongue and walking into the theatre.

"This was a terrible idea, Bells." Amaya whispered, both females a few steps ahead of the boys. "Besides, wasn't this movie rated the worst of the year."

"Just get the popcorn, Maya and lower your voice before they hear you."

Taking a glance back at the testosterone packs behind her she rolled her eyes. "Something tells me their focus is elsewhere."

Amaya found herself seated beside Jacob and a random stranger who slurped so loudly on their clearly empty drink she was ready to pull her hair out. She lasted an hour before she lost her mind, standing abruptly and muttering, "I'm getting more popcorn."

"You hated the movie too?" Jacob chased behind her seconds later, his long hair flowing behind him.

"Never seen something so awful in my entire life and I've seen a lot of shitty movies." He followed her to the concession stand, handing the box over to the worker for a free refill. "Why'd you leave? I thought you were too busy having a staring contest with Newton."

Jacob scoffed, taking the box from her and dousing the freshly popped kernels in liquid butter. "That lovesick paleface was only trying to seem tough because he's got thing for Bella, I only played along to hurt his ego."

"Are you sure it's just his ego that's hurt?"

"What do you mean?"

Now it was Amaya's turn to scoff, flicking her hair behind her shoulder to keep it out of the food. "Even the blind can see the obvious crush you have on her and don't think I didn't notice how you and Newton sandwiched her, stealing both of her armrests to see which person she'd share with."

"You saw that?"

"Couldn't miss it even if I tried," They walked slower back, trying to prolong returning to the horrible movie that was only half finished. Their prayers were answered when Mike Newton himself rushed out, his hand over his mouth while he raced to the bathroom.

All it took was a simple look between the two for them to crack up with a laughter than made their stomachs hurt. That's how Bella found both of her friends, the pair holding onto each other for support as they stumbled over words to say after watching him scurry off. "What's so funny?"

"That guy was a total marshmallow, couldn't even handle a little blood."

Bella had caught up to them. "We should head to the front, I doubt Mike will be up for finishing the movie."

"I'll catch up," Amaya answered, her fingers typing to answer Paul's text to make sure everything was alright with Jacob.

Jacob and Bella walked ahead, soft words exchanged before Amaya saw the Quileute reach for her hand to while Bella pulled away. She stayed behind longer than need be to allow her friend and the boy to talk.

Not much time passed before Mike emerged from the bathroom, his hands freshly washed and a light sheen of sweat coating his forehead. They walked together over to Bella and Jacob, interrupted the obvious moment they were having, Bella's head resting on his shoulder.

"I should go home," Jacob looked up at the sick boy with fire in his eyes, fists clenched at his sides, not saying a word. "I was feeling sick before the movie. What's your problem."

"Right now, you're my problem. Feeling sick? Maybe you should go to the hospital," Jacob Black stood tall before Mike, the shorter boy stepping back, his eyes wide in fear. "Do you want me to put you in the hospital?"

Bella rushed forward, grabbing Jacob's clothed arm and pausing for a moment. "Jake, you're really hot. Are you feeling okay?"

Brown eyes looked at the ground, shaking his head for a moment, his hair falling on his shoulders. "I don't know what's happening. I have to go."

Without another word, Jacob rushed past them all and got out of the theatre.

To: Hothead

S.O.S. Tell Sam it's time.

"What a freak."

Amaya looked up from her phone, blue eyes boring into the side of his face until he looked at her. "You're not winning any medals either, Newton."