0.23

Chapter 23: Way Down We Go

The following day, around ten in the morning, Amaya got a call from Sam Uley, demanding she come to Billy Blacks house.

Amaya was in a cranky mood, her hair undone and a flimsy pair of shorts on her legs and a large hoodie on her back. "Sam called," She said to Billy, still rubbing the sleep from her eyes. A pile of clothes were put in her hands.

"He's out back."

Amaya trudged the the backyard, a large grey wolf in the back, his teeth bared with another wolf, large and a copper shade. "Paul," She called out, his eyes turning to her immediately at the sound of her voice.

A small whine in the back of his throat had him already bowing his head down, abandoning the fight with the new wolf that Amaya figured was Jacob. Paul trudged by Amaya, his head moving towards her and after a moments hesitation, he nuzzled himself into her neck.

From where he stood on all fours, Jacob could see the tears threatening to come from her eyes and the way she held onto him was far too desperate for someone still together. "You should go change, Em told me she was making muffins."

Paul trotted into the woods after she placed his clothes in his mouth, coming out a few moments with them on. Jacob had too changed, coming out in a grey shirt and some jeans. "I should go," Amaya awkwardly pointed behind her, car keys dangling on her middle finger. "Sam only called so I could calm you down."

"Stay," He pleaded, brown eyes boring into her with such desperation that the blonde had no choice but to accept.

"Only for a minute," They two walked in tandem to her car, the silence between them deafening.

From a few steps behind, Jacob leaned towards Sam, his voice lowered to a hushed whisper. "What's wrong with them? Aren't they dating?"

"Not since Paul found out about the imprint," Sam's raspy voice responded, his shirtless form strong and exhuberated authority. "Amaya wanted to stay together, told him how much she loved him but he said that eventually the imprint would take over and he couldn't handle the pain of holding onto someone who was no longer his."

"He loves her? Paul's a tool."

"Maybe," Sam couldn't deny it, at a point Paul Lahote had so many women flowing through his house that when you'd asked for the name of the last woman he slept with, he couldn't give an honest answer. "But since he met her, Paul hasn't so much as looked at another girl the way he looks at Maya."

Jacob went silent, his thoughts clouded with anger at the imprint that ruined so much. "They don't deserve this. All that pain, it's not fair."

"It's fate," Sam simply finished, the two staying silent until they pulled up on the small home he owned with his fiancé. "You should come to that reality soon, seeing as when you finally start thinking straight, you two will be together."

"Bella?" Amaya called when she walked through the front door, her body freezing at the sight of the brunette holding a large blueberry muffin in her hands. "What are you doing here?"

She stumbled on her words. "I came by earlier to check on Jake, I remembered something—wait why are you here?"

"These are my friends," Amaya bluntly answered.

"Chill out," Jared called out, taking a sloppy bite of fried chicken. "She knows."

"You know?"

Bella's thinly plucked brows furrowed. "How did you know?"

"I dated a werewolf, obviously I'd be informed about it."

"You knew this whole time and never told me?" Bella angrily spat at her, brown yes blazing in fury. "How dare you?"

Amaya scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "It wasn't my secret to tell."

"You said that about Edward too."

"Because it wasn't any of your business then either."

The brunette continued, her anger fueling her words. "What else are you hiding from me?"

"Nothing that pertains to you."

Jacob interrupted the cat fight. "Bella, come take a walk with me."

Without second thought, Bella followed obediently, not saying a word to anyone as they left. "I thought you two were friends," Paul reached over to take a three muffins, shoving one in his mouth and finishing the super sized pastry in two bites.

"I don't know, things are changing. We don't have much in common anymore."

"What do you mean?"

Picking apart pieces of her muffin she was slow to answer. "My family left me behind because of her, I've been keeping secrets and lying to her and I can't do it anymore. I'm not the same person I used to be and she isn't either." Checking the time on her phone, she pushed her messy hair from her face. "I need to head home. I'll be around again eventually."

"Don't disappear on us, Maya. We're your family too."

"I know."

Amaya drove away as fast as she could, breaking multiple speeding laws and slamming her car door shut once she got to her too-large home that only housed herself. She'd only been inside for a few moments before her phone rang and she answered it without looking at the caller ID. "What now, Sam?"

"I'm insulted you think I'm some overgrown dog."

"Alice."