0.2

Chapter 2: Prying Eyes

Bella Swan tried not to stare when she saw the blonde girl standing at her locker, a very concerned looking Edward leaning against it trying to talk to her. She didn't mean to eavesdrop but she wanted to know what Jessica meant by Dr. Cullen had killed her mother because in Bella's head that seemed like a valid reason to listen in on a conversation or two.

"I heard you were talking to her," Edward spoke to Amaya, his voice so low and melodic it made Bella's eyes flutter closed at its sweet sound but it was cut off by the girls harsh tone.

"Not that it's any of your business, Ed, but yes I was talking to her."

His long pale arms were covered by a long-sleeved grey shirt that the girl before him had picked out herself. "Why? What did you say to her?"

There was a moment of silence before the loud sound of metal slamming on metal stopped conversations in the hall and they duo had all eyes on them. "Why don't you ask her and find out?"

"Come on, Maya, talk to me."

The blonde stomped down the hallway, making it known she wanted nothing to do with the Cullen. "We have nothing to talk about, Ed. I hate you."

"No, you don't," He shouted after her, making her momentarily pause.

"What makes you say that?"

"Because, you still call me Ed."

Her cold blue eyes seemed to soften for a fraction of a second before they went right back up to their cruel stare. "Fine, Edward. I hate you."

Their dispute went around the school quicker than Amaya thought possible which is why it so greatly annoyed her that she had to sit an entire class period beside Alice Cullen knowing full well the pixie haired pale face knew the reason behind the fight.

Gentle eyes watched her for a while until Amaya slammed her English book on the table. "Stop it, Alice."

"Please talk to me, Maya. It's been so long since I've heard your voice."

Amaya's resolve started to break for the tiny girl beside her who'd at one point been her best friend, they did everything together along with their partner in crime Rosalie, but times were different and they'd made their point very clear with her. "You wouldn't have to miss it if you didn't tell me to leave."

"You understand why we did though, right?"

"Because of a vision that may or may not have been accurate, yes I know."

Alice flinched at the hostile tone in her voice, pale hands rested peacefully on the wooden table. "You must understand—"

"I don't have to do anything," She quickly silenced the small girl who Amaya knew was well beyond the age she looked but didn't dwell on it. "I trusted you guys and you betrayed that trust, don't expect me to want to make things back to normal after what you've done."

"We're sorry."

"Good. Stay sorry."

Class seemed to drone on and the usually perky blonde wanted nothing more than to skip the remaining class hours and go home. She'd been perfectly content ignoring the adopted family for the past few months and the sudden attempt to rekindle their friendship make her fingers twitching to land a solid blow that she knew would hurt her more than them.

The bell rang signaling the finishing of the class, Amaya being the first person to gather her books, her butt leaning against the end of her seat, easily sliding off and racing out of the classroom at the sound of the shrill bell. "Amaya."

"What?" She snapped, her furrowed brows quickly softening when she realized it was just Mr. Bradley holding her backpack in his hand. "Sorry, thank you."

"Is everything alright?" The greying man asked, his stubble covering his jaw and sides of his cheeks, his kind brown eyes staring down at her through his thin rimmed glasses.

Taking a moment to breathe, she nodded. "I'm fine, just been having one of those days."

Mr. Bradley gave her a small smile, his dark blue suit hugging his average body nicely. "If you need to talk about anything, I'm here."

Amaya knew it was supposed to be a comforting sentence, meant to assure her that she wasn't alone and that she had people to talk to but she didn't want to talk about it. It was nobody's business but her own and it slightly bothered her that people were suddenly deciding that they would be of help six months after the initial accident. "I don't need anything." Taking a quick glance at the clock, she starting backing away even though she had plenty of time to make it to her locker on the other side of the school and still make it to her final class with minutes to spare. "I have to go."

"That was rude," A deep and teasing voice spoke from beside her and for the first time she was happy to hear it.

"Emmett," She grinned, welcoming the incredibly muscular man into her arms with a gentle hug, his porcelain skin cold to the touch.

Hanging loosely in his left hand was a black notebook and a pen hanging to the metal wires that held the paper together. "It's been a minute, Squirt."

"That's not my fault."

A large hand was pressed to an unbeating heart. "Ouch." Emmett looked down at the petite blonde, his topaz eyes watching her with care. "You know we didn't want to leave you."

"Do I?"

"Come on, Maya. Carlisle hates himself for what happened, it was an accident."

Her locker slammed shut, her blue eyes staring blankly at the cheap metal. "You think I stopped talking to you guys because of what happened? I know he tried his hardest to keep her alive given the circumstances. I stopped talking to you guys because after it happened you thought it was best to leave me alone."

"Alice saw you getting hurt if you stuck around with us and we didn't want that to happen."

A red painted nail pointed itself at Emmett's chest. "That wasn't your choice to make."

A pale hand reached up to swat hers away, the action seeming playful to any passerby when the exchange between the two had become anything but. "We were trying to protect you."

"By leaving me all by myself, sounds very safe to me."

"It's better than staying in a house full of v—" Emmett paused, his topaz eyes looking to the side catching sight of a lingering brunette with nosy brown eyes darting in their direction every few seconds. "Just come by later, so we can talk about this without being overheard."

Amaya rolled her eyes at the new girl who was quickly getting her things, dropping them all over and staring at them with guilty eyes. "I'll be over at nine."