0.30

Chapter 30: Intruder Alert

Bright orange flames lit up the circle in the backyard of Jacob Black's house, Billy Black sitting in the middle in his wheelchair as the others ate all they could.

Amaya sat beside Leah and Paul, Bella and Jacob sitting directly across from them as they waited for the Elders to begin the telling of the tribes history. The blonde had only been included due to her sudden change in status from outsider to imprint allowing her to qualify to listen to them. "The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning but we have always had magic in our blood," He started, his raspy voice cutting through the night with power and authority. "We were great spirit warriors, shapeshifters who transformed into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe."

The fire crackled, and the wolves were invested in whatever the Elder had to say, their immense respect for him preventing them from making conversation with one another or getting up to get more food. "One day, our warriors came across a creature that looked like man but it was hard like stone and cold as ice. We'd found the man standing before dead wives and daughters and it awakened our wolf. Our warriors sharp teeth finally tore the man but we learned that only fire could destroy it. They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone and they were right. There was a woman—a lover of sorts and she took revenge on our village. The elder chief Taha Aki was the only spirit warrior left, and he saved the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's wife could see that he was going to be defeated and while the third wife was no match for the being, with no special powers but one—courage."

Billy looked at Bella from across the fire, obviously trying to warn the eighteen year old of the dangers of the kind she was so close with. "The third wife shed her blood as a sacrifice in order to destract the cold woman and allow Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe and over time our enemies have disappeared but one remains. The cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near and we sense it now, feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming and we must all be ready—all of us."

The nights fire stayed strong and after the legends were over, the pack continued eating and talking to one another. "Maya, you need a ride home? I'm headed that way," Jake offered, Bella standing beside him, her hands tucked in her jacket pockets.

The blonde looked between the two for a while, Paul's hand gently nudging the dip of her spine. "Yeah, thanks."

"We're leaving in ten, meet us at the Rabbit?"

She answered with a nod, not saying anything else until they were far enough away for her to turn to Paul with furrowed brows. "What was that?"

"You need to forgive them."

"Since when were you pro-Bella."

"I'm not," He shifted from foot to foot, his simple grey hoodie fitting to his frame perfectly, his broad shoulders spread out and his lips seeming more than tempting. "I'm just saying, Maya. Anyone with eyes can see that they hurt you and it makes me angry just thinking about it but before Bella, before me, they were your family too. Just talk to them, maybe things will get better for you."

Her hair was pulled up in a intricate braid that Leah had done before the legends were told and Amaya took that moment to play with the ends of it. "If I do that will you come to mine tonight, I'm tired of being alone."

"You know I'd do anything for you."

Amaya walked off, looking back a few times to make sure he was still behind her and each time he was standing there, his hands tucked in his pockets eyes not moving from her until she got in the small car and it drove off out of sight.

Jacob and Bella were in the front, the car was silent but it was broken by the brunette. "How's everything going, Maya? Graduations in a month, any colleges catch your eye."

"I was going to stay in Washington, but it hasn't been feeling much like home lately so I'm making plans to move to Chicago. I have a friend there from when I visited with my dad on business. He stay with him until I got on my feet."

"He?" The quileute boy questions promptly, his eyebrow arching as he peeked at the blonde from the rear view mirror. "What's his name?"

She wasn't sure why his tone made her laugh, but Amaya chuckled at him. "Yes, he. His names Jordan, he's filthy rich and I've known him for years."

"How old is he?"

"Twenty-five."

Jacobs hands clenched tightly on the wheel and the car started driving just a bit faster which seemed almost dangerous for the self-made car. It was old and old cars weren't meant to drive this fast.

On instinct the blonde rested her hand on his shoulder and like a flip was switched Jacob started to come back to reality, his hands loosing the death grip and the car slowing down to a reasonable speed. "I didn't say it was definite, but it is an option."

"Not anymore."

Amaya retracted her hand away from him, returning to her spot in the backseat because as much as she hated to admit it, she felt that tingle where their skin met and she hated it more than anything.