Bus boy

Dan hated social interaction, so when his mother had told him that he was going to be getting the bus to and from his high school you can guess he wasn't so happy about the sudden change. He threw fake over the top tantrums and ranted about hating being near other people in public to try and persuade his mother to just keep driving him to school.

"Mum I can't get the bus with other people. What if I do something wrong? What if I say something weird? What if-" Dan's eyes looked up to meet his mother's as she explained herself. "There will be no more 'what if's' Daniel. I can't be late in the morning anymore or i will lose my job." She was checking that she had everything for work, while Dan sulked eating his cereal sloppily. 

Dan's mum was a nurse, and she had to be at work early in the morning. Dan was always late getting ready for school in a morning by 'not being able to find this one thing' and running of to 'find it' when in reality, he was just stalling. His mum had gotten to the point where she just couldn't do it anymore. So the bus was the next option she had left. "You have to be at the bus stop by 7:45, so hurry up and get moving. you'll be late for school if you don't catch the bus." She planted a kiss on his head as she walked past him, pulling her bag up onto her shoulder and grabbing her coffee flask. 

"I'll be home at 11:30 at the earliest, 1am at the latest. Alright?" She didn't exactly wait for an answer, she quickly shouted an 'I love you!' before she was gone for work. 

Dan sighed, dropping his spoon into the now milky and soggy cornflakes and ran off upstairs to finish getting ready for school. He hated his school uniform, as it was a little too baggy and long at the arms and too tight with the trousers. At least if he's cold he can pull his jumper over his hands. He didn't mind the jumper being too long, it was just the blazer that annoyed him. He decided he was going to carry his blazer since it wasn't too cold out. England was being nice to him today.

He grabbed his backpack and swung it over his shoulder, walking out of the door and locking it with his spare keys that had to be replaced numerous times after losing them. He trudged off down the drive and off to the bus stop. He was expecting to be alone and he was going to try not to make a fool of himself. He was a year 11, and he was usually able to keep up his morning routine until now, but he guessed his mum was more worried of being late and getting fired that actually getting fired. The people she worked with all knew that he was tardy and procrastinated a lot, so they knew exactly why his mum was late most mornings. 

He walked up to the bus stop and stood there, but the bus didn't take long to turn the street corner and arrive. He barely just made it. The bus pulled over and he got on, paying for his ticket and looking to see what seats were available. The very back of the bus caught his eye, so he made his way down to the back and sat on the back row by a window, hoping he was hidden as he plugged in his earphones and stuck them in listening to anything but the sound of the bus.

A few stops later, a boy with dark hair and pale skin walked onto the bus. He took out an earphone to hear him speaking with a soft voice and seeing him talk with a bright smile. He paid for his ticket and looked down the bus, probably also looking for a seat. The bus had a total of 7 empty seats, yet the boy excitedly almost ran to the back and perched himself at the edge of the seat right beside Dan. He put the earphone back in, as a way to silently tell the boy he wasn't interested. He pouted, but slumped back into the seat beside Dan regardless. 

Dan had spent 5 minuets on the bus next to this guy, and he took his earphone out to hear him talking to him. Was he really trying to initiate a conversation even with him blocking him out? "Hello? I said hi. My name is Phil. I haven't seen you on the bus before, are you knew to the school?" Dan shook his head too stubborn to talk. If he wasn't going to speak in the first place he wasn't going to start now. 

"Hmm, just new to getting the bus huh? I like making friends, would you mind being my friend?" Dan couldn't help but smile a little. Phil was so open and outgoing. Had he always been like this? How had he never seen him in school? 

"Sure, why not?" He replied to see if it would shut him up. Unfortunately for Dan. it made him talk more. 

"I love making new friends! What's your name?" Dan looked over at the boy who was looking at him eagerly. 

"My name is Dan-" He was cut off but the boy again, and he would have been a little mad about it if it weren't for the fact that the boy was so cute and innocent, and he felt like just giving him the biggest hug ever. Dan started to wonder if he gave good hugs. Weird. 

"That's a nice name. I like the name Dan. Does anyone ever call you Danny?" Dan stared at Phil, his laugh caught in his throat.

 "Are you serious? Danny? I'm not American." Phil just shrugged his shoulders insisting it was only a question. 

For the rest of the ride they talked about favourite colours, animals, outfits, video games, bands and candles. They even talked about house plants, and how Phil would probably buy over 10 if he got his own house. 

They arrived at their stop and stepped off the bus, thanking the driver on their way off. "I guess i'll see you around school?" Phil asked excited that he had made a new friend. Dan smiled and nodded once. 

"See you later." Phil grinned and his eyes seemed to be a brighter blue than before. Phil attacked Dan with a hug, and to his surprise Dan hugged him back. 

They soon pulled away and wandered off to find their own groups of friends, telling them how they met a cute guy on the bus that turned out to be pretty cool and befriended them. Their thoughts never wandered to anything else but the cute guy that gets the same bus.