Sacrifice of the Moon

"Arthit!"

Kongpob and Arthit broke apart at the sudden interjection. Arthit's mother looked shocked, she clutched at her chest before turning around and walking back into the house.

"Go and talk to your mother, I'll wait for you."

Kongpob walked over to Knott's car. Arthit rushed back into the house. There was an eerie silence in the house. He opened the door to his mother's bedroom, only to find it empty. His mother was sitting on his bed, looking at his childhood picture by the bedside.

"Mai?"

"You know, you were such a happy child. You had so much energy, it was difficult to get you to take a nap -"

"Mai, we should talk about what you just saw."

Arthit waited for his mother to say something, but he was met with silence.

"I wanted to tell you Mai. Kongpob and I met during university -"

"I know!"

Arthit was stunned by her exclamation.

"You think I wouldn't know. You tried to hide it from your Mai - but - the boy - he promised."

"What do you mean, you knew? Who promised you - Kong -"

Tears were trickling down her cheeks. Arthit's growing confusion was only amplified by his heart breaking at seeing his mother cry. He knelt in front of her.

"What did you do Mai?"

"I had no choice. What was I supposed to do? My beautiful boy - my Oon - was in a relationship with a man -"

She broke off with wretched sobs. Arthit's heart sank, he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He put his hands on her knees, he had to know.

"How did you know Mai?"

She gave a bitter laugh.

"You thought I wouldn't know after you and that boy - you announced it to the university -"

Arthit had a dawning realization. He and Kongpob had never tried to hide their relationship. He had announced it to the whole university in the 'Thank the Seniors' party. But there was still a puzzle piece missing.

"What did you make Kongpob promise?"

In the silence of the room, interspersed with his mother's sobs, Arthit's heart was beating so loudly. He was dreading her answer.

"He promised, he did - he promised to leave you alone. He promised!"

Arthit sunk to his knees. His fears were confirmed, his mother had forced Kongpob to break up with him. He felt a wave of sickness overcome him.

"How could you do it Mai? I was so happy with him - how could you?"

"Happy? You were happy throwing your life away? Because of him, you dare to accuse your mother -"

"How was I throwing my life away? We were so happy together. I have been so miserable these past few years, do I look happy to you -"

Arthit couldn't continue, he felt like he was being choked by his tears. He took several gasping breaths, he felt his mother's hands easing over his back. Once so welcoming and warm, those hands felt alien to him now.

"Arthit, I never forced you to date anyone. Uncle Aawut's daughter, she's so pretty, she would have been perfect for you - I never forced you, Oon."

"Mai, will you never accept that I am in love with a man?"

"No! I cannot accept it. Have some pity on your old mother, don't be so cruel -"

She kept on muttering the same thing don't be so cruel. Arthit took out his phone and texted Knott.

'Take Kongpob home, I can't come out.'

He left his mother sobbing in his childhood bedroom and went and sat in the veranda. The rain was washing away his tears. He sat still, till he saw Knott's car drive away. For the first time in his life, Arthit felt all alone.

***********************************************************************

Arthit had never known how difficult his mother could be. The next morning, she doted on him as usual, pretending as though the events of the last night had not occurred. Arthit wondered, if his tendency to run from situations was something he had inherited from her. She served him a healthy portion of porridge.

"Mai, we have to talk about -"

"Oon, eat first, here take some veggies -"

"Mai! we can't ignore what happened."

His mother looked at him sadly. She slowly ran her fingers through her hair.

"Oon, please listen to your mother on this -"

"Mai, I can't agree with you, not on this -"

"What is so great about that boy? Today, you talk back to your mother over him -"

"This has nothing to do with Kongpob, and everything to do with me. It's me - I love a man. I'm not choosing between you and him. It's just the way I am."

Arthit took his mother's hands into his own.

"I'm sorry Mai, I shouldn't have hidden my relationship from you. I was never ashamed of being with him, we have committed no crime. I know, that you cannot accept it now, but I hope someday you will. I will be waiting patiently for that day."

***********************************************************************

A cold war was ensuing between Arthit and his mother. It was already time for him to go back. His mother was packing delicious food to take back with him. She was humming the same tunes she would use to put him to sleep when he was young.

They were waiting by the door, the taxi would be coming to pick him up. Arthit knew this would be his last chance, so he mustered up his courage.

"Mai, please promise me one thing."

"What is it Oon?"

"Promise me, you will try."

Her eyes glistened as she looked at him. She pulled him into a hug. As her arms went around him, he heard her whisper.

"I promise."

***********************************************************************

Arthit reached his apartment. He haphazardly tossed his bags aside and took out his phone. He was deep in thought as he twirled his phone between his fingers. He knew now why Kongpob had broken up with him, but there were so many things left unanswered.

He stood up with determination, Arthit had run away from many things in his life, from his feelings, from Kongpob, but today, he refused to. He texted Kongpob.

'Meet me at my apartment. We need to talk.'

His eyes drifted to the clock, it was way past midnight. Would Kongpob even be awake? An answering buzz assured him he was.

'I'll be there in half an hour.'

Arthit would finally get his answers.

***********************************************************************

A/N : Here you go, the next chapter as promised.  I now consider this to be the hardest chapter I have written. This reveal is probably not what you expected, although I do remember someone guessing it correctly in one of the comments.

I know, that Kongpob making this decision wouldn't make sense to some of you. More answers will come in the next chapter. In the mean time, if you don't like this chapter or the explanation, don't be too harsh *goes to hide*.