The Disappearing Sun

"Ai'Arthit, we will pick you up in an hour -"

Arthit felt miserable. Today was N'Kacha's fifth birthday, P'Tum and P'Fon had spared no expenses. Of course, when he had agreed to go, he hadn't known Kongpob would be there too. His thoughts took him back to the wedding, that's when everything had started. Arthit had been so desperate then, afraid of losing Kongpob's affections by his inaction. 

He shuffled over to the shower. Arthit thought he was being selfish. It wasn't his friends' fault, they were broken up. He didn't expect them to chose sides. 

*******************************************************************

"-ai, someone's looking handsome!"

"Shut up, Bright!"

A sense of deja vu flooded Arthit's senses. Here he was again, back with his friends, going to an event where he anticipated awkward encounters with a certain someone. Heck, even Knott's car was the same!

Knott took him aside before they went in. 

"Ai'Arthit, I want you to know that, if you need anything -"

"I know, I know - uh - thank you."

*********************************************************************

Kongpob had grown taller. He was politely nodding along to Pern and her husband. He offered  a greeting to Arthit as they passed by.

"0062 is still the same, he only has eyes for Ai'Arthit - "

Bright's complaint was cut off by a sharp look from Prem. They offered their greetings to P'Fon. 

"Thank you all for coming, N'Kacha has wandered off with his friends. Here, I'll take that off your hands -"

**********************************************************************

Arthit felt slightly buzzed. Knott, his most trustworthy friend had unwaveringly stayed by his side like a guardian angel. His furrowed eyebrows were quite the frightening sight. That had never stopped Kongpob though.

"P'Arthit, P'Knott -"

Arthit didn't understand the game Kongpob was playing. He had expected Kongpob to maintain a civil distance, after all, he had done the breaking up. But Kongpob, seemed to have regained his spirit after the bus ride. 

Knott for all his tough exterior, was really a marshmallow inside and couldn't help himself from engaging with Kongpob.

"Thank you N'Kongpob. Yes, we are yet to fix the actual date -"

Arthit managed to catch snippets of the conversation. He was trying to keep his tongue in check, the alcohol was not helping matters. 

"What are you doing, Kongpob? Are you playing  some kind of game -"

Kongpob seemed startled by the sudden exclamation. His smile dimmed. 

"P'Arthit, let us talk somewhere else."

************************************************************************

Kongpob had brought him to a relatively secluded corner of the venue. A dense silence permeated the air, Arthit had lost his sudden courage. 

"P'Arthit, -"

"I don't have anything to say to you -"

"But, P' - "

"You have some nerve you know that. Showing up to talk to me. "

All his thoughts, his hurt, his anger was pouring out. What was it about Kongpob, even after all these years, that managed to make him lose his calm? 

"Did you think all was forgotten? I came to see you the next day -"

Arthit belatedly realised he had revealed too much. Heck, he had nothing to lose anyway. 

" - what was your reason then? Let me hear it."

"P'Arthit, I had my reasons, foolish as they may seem - "

"You know what? I don't want to know -"

Arthit tried to walk away, Kongpob held him back.

"Kongpob, let go of my arm."

"P'Arthit, I'm not letting you go till -"

"Kongpob!"

Arthit's voice carried over, some guests nearby looked startled. He wrenched his arm from Kongpob's grip and strode away. Kongpob's eyes glistened as he watched his retreating back.

"Ai'Knott we're going home."

"Yes."

********************************************************************************

A/N : Phew! That was painful to write!