Howling at the Moon

"Kongpob, why did you break up with me three years ago?"

In a matter of seconds, Kongpob's expressions became guarded. He raked his hand through his hair, and opened and closed his mouth repeatedly.

"P'Arthit, I - I -"

"Why can't you tell me? What was so terrible?"

"I'm sorry P'Arthit, I just can't tell you. Ask me for anything else -"

Arthit had never felt so frustrated at Kongpob. He had forgotten how stubborn his juniour could be. He grabbed hold of Kongpob's hands and forced him to look at his face. 

"Kongpob, I won't be angry. Please tell me, please."

Kongpob just shook his head vehemently, tears had started to flow freely from his eyes. 

"P', I love you so much. Please just let it go. I've been so miserable without you."

Arthit ran his fingers across Kongpob's face, wiping away his relentless tears.

"Kong, did you cheat -"

"No! There's never been anyone else, it's always been you, just you."

Arthit felt like ripping his hair out, the conversation wasn't going anywhere, they were running around in circles. 

"Kong, just tell me. Tell me the reason and I'll be yours again. We can pick up right where we left off."

The silence following his words, felt like an icy dagger to his heart. Arthit's anger was rising to the surface.

"That was your last chance, it's over between us."

Arthit dropped Kongpob's hands, took one last look at his tear-stained face. He forced Kongpob's hand open and dropped his gear on his palm. Arthit had been carrying it in his pocket, hoping for a reconciliation. Kongpob's choking sobs echoed in the empty room as Arthit slowly limped away.

***********************************************************************

Arthit took a taxi back home, there was no way his injured ankle was going to make it till the bus stop. He slammed his apartment door shut. Here, he was a twenty seven year old man, wailing over his broken heart like a teenager. 

He screamed into his pillow, before his tears stained the cover. His phone started ringing. Arthit wiped his tears with the back of his hand.

"Hello, Mai?"

"Oon, what's the matter, dear? Your voice sounds funny."

"It's nothing, Mai. I think I'm catching a cold."

"Oh no, please take better care of yourself. Aawut uncle is visiting his niece, you remember her? I'll send some medicines through him -"

"Mai, don't worry."

"Oon, come and visit me this weekend. Let Mai take care of you."

Usually, it would take a lot to convince Arthit, but today he agreed in an instant. His mother could sense something was troubling him. He heard her exhale. 

"Oon, I'm worried about you, dear. Go to sleep early, I think your company is working you too hard."

"Yes, Mai."

Arthit should have known his mother wouldn't let things go so easily. After taking a shower, he had just settled under the covers, when he heard someone knocking on his door. He hobbled on one leg to the door. His mother had called Knott to check on him.