Can't fight the moonlight

"Mr. Rojnapat, so who do you nominate?"

The company wanted to appoint a design head from their current department to manage the headquarters at the new branch. Arthit knew without a doubt who deserved the position.

"Of course the nominee will be thoroughly vetted by the board -"

He couldn't be selfish. Even though it meant possibly never seeing Kongpob again. Perhaps, it was for the best.

"I nominate -"

***********************************************************************

Ever since Kongpob had taken care of him that day, Arthit couldn't think of him without experiencing a whirlwind of emotions. No one had been so tender with him, since his mother. It made Arthit circle back to the same question, why Kongpob? Why had Kongpob broken up with him?

"- you just can't barge into the head's room, Mr. Suthiluk -"

Arthit stood up from his desk.

"I told him that you had asked not to be disturbed, sir -"

"It's alright Dee."

Kongpob looked frantic, as though he had been running. He was trying to catch his breath. Arthit offered him a glass of water.

"P', P'Arthit, do you hate me that much?"

"Kongpob, what are you talking about?"

"You've nominated me for the new branch head, do you want me to leave that badly -"

"Kongpob, enough! Do you really think I would make such a decision lightly? I have made the decision because you are the most qualified for the job -"

"If that is the case, I will have to respectfully decline this position -"

"Think rationally, Kongpob, this will be immense for your career."

A sharp knock interrupted them. Arthit adjusted his facial expressions to neutrality before shouting.

"Come in."

"Arthit, there's been a mishap with the contractors, we need to resubmit the designs."

Thanwa looked troubled, he was gnawing at his lips. Arthit put his phone in his pocket.

"Let's go."

***********************************************************************

The entire day had gone in fixing the situation. Arthit had taken the design team out for dinner to thank them for their efforts. He was in the midst of conversation with his colleagues, but his eyes kept drifting towards Kongpob.

Kongpob had always been popular with the ladies. N'Kwang had taken a particular interest in him, her eyes settled on him for the entire evening. Arthit felt annoyed, this took him back to the times when he and Kongpob had been dating, even then Arthit had to suffer silently while women tried their luck with Kongpob. Kongpob would politely reject their advances and locate him. Arthit's ears would burn beneath Kongpob's knowing look.

At least then, Arthit had the comfort of knowing, it was him Kongpob would return to for the night. As if sensing the direction of Arthit's thoughts, Kongpob lifted his gaze till their eyes were locked. He smiled.

"- and then I took her home."

Raucous cheers and whistles interrupted Arthit. Thanwa had just finished recounting the details of his latest date. Arthit decided to make his way home while the night was still young.

***********************************************************************

The news that Arthit and Kongpob had been senior-juniour during their bachelors had spread through the office. Arthit blamed Oak in their sales division for not knowing when to shut his mouth, he supposed he should be grateful he hadn't revealed the particulars of their dating history.

"- what do you think, Khun Arthit, do I have a chance?"

This had prompted N'Kwang to approach him in the communal kitchen, for dating enquiries regarding Kongpob. Arthit cleared his throat.

"N'Kwang, I think, that for a girl like you, Kongpob is not the right one, you see he has a wandering eye -"

N'Kwang looked panicked all of a sudden. Kongpob had come to wash his cup, Arthit looked like a deer in the headlights. N'Kwang hurried off with a rushed greeting to Kongpob.

Arthit had never been more embarrassed in his entire life. He had been caught in a blatant lie. He wondered whether Kongpob would be angry at his attempt to malign his character. He didn't have to worry though, Kongpob's smile was filled with glee.

"You know, P', my eyes have always wandered to you."

Arthit felt his cheeks blush. He had always been a possessive person, but he hadn't realised the extent of his own jealousy. The sudden realisation that he didn't have any right to be possessive of Kongpob, washed over him, leaving a chill.

"Please excuse me Kongpob."

***********************************************************************

"Mr. Rojnapat, did you hear what I just said? I said, we're going to have another meeting about the new branch design head, your Mr. Suthiluk has refused to leave his current position. Bit silly of him, I think -"

Arthit tuned out for the rest of the conversation. A feeling of elation washed over him, lifting a burden he hadn't even realised he was carrying.

"-yes, let us meet tomorrow morning."

Arthit was slowly accepting that Kongpob had cornered his heart once again, maybe he had never left. He felt disgusted at himself for forgetting so easily what Kongpob had done. His pride refused to allow him to bask in the warmth of his reawakened feelings.

Even if Kongpob occupied his heart once again, there was no way Arthit would allow him back in his life. That lovelorn fool had been buried a long time ago. No, never again.

***********************************************************************

A/N : I'm sorry, this will be my only update for the next week. Work has to take priority for now. As always, thank you all for reading and for leaving feedback, it makes my day! :)