Chapter 20: Know Thy Lover

Start from the beginning

Lucy is the strong one. She always has been. In the end, all things she must accomplish, she will do so on her own terms, including saving herself.

Lydia stopped in her tracks the moment she heard a twig snap behind her. God, was she being followed? She was on Fredrick's property still, was she not?

"Ms. Quincy?"

Sighing with relief, Lydia turned to see the man himself standing there, handsome as ever, with the kindest look of concern in his eyes.

"Mr. Doyle," she curtsied. "Fine day, is it not?"

"Indeed," Fredrick replied. "Are you well?"

"Very," she nodded quickly. "I merely needed some fresh air, the dressing plans for your ball were stifling. I usually enjoy such things but since Lucy left I..." She stopped. "Forgive me, I am speaking out of turn."

"You are not," he assured her, stepping forward. "Surely you know that anything you wish to say to me you can."

Lydia sighed. "If only that were true."

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Mr. Doyle..."

"Fredrick, please," he was standing mere feet from her now. "Call me Fredrick."

Lydia shook her head. "You're such a kind and decent man. When this is all over, I would advise you to stay as far from my family as you can. Lucy and I carry too many demons, you deserve a life without them."

Fredrick frowned. "But surely you are aware that that is not what I want."

This conversation was taking a turn, so Lydia stepped back. "Like I said, Mr. Doyle, I was merely I need of a walk. The fresh air clears my head, puts things in perspective," she curtsied once again. "Good day."

Lydia turned quickly to continue down the path, keeping her head bowed and fighting back tears. If she was far enough away, hopefully he wouldn't see them, or the way her shoulders were shaking, but not from the cold.

"I love you, Lydia," he said, his voice causing her to halt. "I've known this the moment I set eyes on you, the moment you honored my life with your presence."

Lydia did not turn around, she did not dare. How could she, when everything she and Lucy were trying to accomplish rode on the betrothal? So long as Lucy and Fredrick were known to be engaged, she was safe, and Lydia would sooner see her own life end than let that happen to her sister.

"Search your heart, Lydia," he said, his voice sounding miles away yet so close at the same time. "I beg of you. If there is nothing, then I cannot argue with that, but there has to be something. I know there is. I saw it in your eyes, I still see it."

There was something, she knew it. A love abounding her soul, filling her life with a myth of beautiful promises. But she couldn't take it; she couldn't even reach for it.

Lydia sighed and turned around. "It doesn't matter what I feel, Fredrick. You know that."

"But there is something, then?" He asked, stepping forward. "You feel something?"

"It doesn't matter, like I said," Lydia replied, feeling her voice break. "I... I cannot betray my sister."

"What betrayal is it if Lucy and I feel nothing for each other?" Fredrick pressed. "She is a friend, one that I care for dearly, but you, Lydia... You're the woman I love. You've cast a spell on me that I cannot deny."

"It is not a spell," Lydia assured him. "Whatever I feel for you is nothing compared to my loyalty to my sister. Even if the two of you feel nothing, your union is the one thing keeping everything together. The two of you may not agree with the betrothal, but it is her safety, you know that."