39. Nowhere to be found

Tiago jolted and half-squealed when the rat scurried between his legs. Stalker let go of Ricardo and kicked the rodent, sending it flying. It bounced off Dune's thick thigh before landing on his bare foot. The short colossus didn't even flinch. Leaning against a wall, O'Ma watched the innocent plague-carrier disappear through a crack in the wall.

     The Quartermaster sighed and tried to focus. He needed to think fast, and his companions would not be of any help defining their next move. Stalker was barking his unnerving laugh, mocking Tiago's lack of virility. It wouldn't be long until the two of them started throwing fists and rocks at each other. Meanwhile, Cap was nowhere to be found.

     O'Ma's voice boomed over the brewing argument. "Dick!"

     "Ye're such a fuckin' sissy!"

     "Yes?" Ricardo's answer was barely audible.

     "And you're a filho da puta."

     O'Ma tried to ignore Tiago's casual retort. "Is there any other way out? Could Cap... our captain have been relocated?"

     "Fuckin' little baby girl!"

    "No, sir! There's... There's only the stairs we took!" Ricardo stammered.

     "Comedor de merda!"

     "And... and... I was all alone here when you..." The young lad's voice broke.

"Cod-stuffed ass! Oyster's prick!"

     Things were getting out of hand, and O'Ma was losing patience. "Enough of this! Will you close your fly traps, both of you?"

     "Corno do caralho!" Tiago smiled like he enjoyed a funny little contest.

     His smiled stayed put, even when Stalker grabbed him by the collar. The wicked Pierrot twisted his painted mouth open, but before he could throw any colorful, angry words at his daring mate, a loud bang resonated, and the wall exploded a few inches above his head.

     The whole group dove onto the sandy floor—even Dune, who probably thought it was yet another game. He laid on his back, still protecting Cap's clothes. Only Ricardo stood still. He was frozen in his tracks, head down, shoulders up, mouth shut tight, and eyes wide open.

     O'Ma yelled, "Get down, Dick!"

     "Someone is shooting at us!" exclaimed Tiago.

     Ricardo whined.

     "Horse fucker!" grunted Stalker.

     Then silence fell on them; heavy, muggy, and filled with elusive threat.

Last update on July 17th, 2019