7. Still breathing

Pain was throbbing from the back of Alexandra's skull and radiated throughout her entire body. Even breathing was painful. At least she was still breathing, and that was a surprise. She opened her eyes and waited for the cobblestone under her nose to come into focus. Second surprise, she was still in the street, lying on the same cold steps where she had fallen.

     She tried to move and failed. Dark sparks exploded in front of her eyes and she thought she would collapse again. Forcing herself to breathe deeply, she inhaled disgusting air that smelled like kelp, dust, shit, and blood. She almost threw up but managed to stay conscious.

     Alexandra cleared her throat, but words tumbled out of her mouth like gravel. "Savannah... Savy..."

     No one answered.

     Slowly, by sheer force of will, she managed to get to her knees. The word started to spin, forcing her to sit. When it slowed down enough, Alexandra took a look around her and didn't understand what she saw.

     Blood and guts coated the paved steps and sprayed the brick walls. Still burning in the light of dawn, the street lamps displayed garlands of bowels like a fancy but gory butcher stall. Alexandra counted six heads, scattered around, leaking their insides like smashed watermelons, but only five bodies. The remains of the seventh aggressor were nowhere to be seen. Neither was Savy.

     "What the hell happened here?"

     The nearest head—intact, apart from the piece of bloodied blond scalp hanging over the left ear—looked at Alexandra with eyes wide open. But despite its mouth gaping on a silent scream, it gave no reply.

     After a while, Alexandra managed to stand. Her own head full of questions and her mouth filled with blood—her own too, hopefully—she began her long and painful trip back to the ship.

Header by FayLane

Header by FayLane

Last update on May 5th, 2019