6. Lurking in the shadows

Outside the inn, the clouded sky slowly began to lighten, the horizon already illuminated by a still invisible sun. Stoic in the steady breeze, Kali was lurking in the shadows. She stood in a door frame across the muddy street, leaning against the wall, waiting.

     She didn't move when two men stumbled out of the tavern. As expected, they didn't see her and lurched away, one almost carrying the other.

     Kali smiled. The time to wait had passed. She stepped away from the door frame and, slithering in silence behind them, started tailing the drunken man and his obliging friend.

     After a laborious while, they stopped in front of a random house, as narrow and crooked as the other houses crammed into the lopsided street. The innkeeper pushed his customer against the wall and started to search him. He tried every pocket until he pulled out a large key, just in time to catch its owner, who had been betrayed by his legs. Keeping his inebriated mate on his feet with one hand, the hosteler opened the door with the other.

     The two friends exchanged some whispered words. Actually, the sober one did all the talking while the unsteady man just nodded repeatedly, his face showing an exaggerated solemnity. A few seconds later the door closed on the drunkard, and the innkeeper made his way back to his establishment.

     When he disappeared around the corner, Kali emerged from a pool of shadows. She took her katar from her black silk belt. Firmly holding the horizontal hand grip, she enjoyed the weight of the dagger for a moment. Men had offered fortunes for such a piece of art. The blade was a simple triangle, chiseled and intricately carved with silver and gold patterns. But men had paid Kali even more for her to use it.

     A few moments later, the door opened and closed a second time, in an ominous silence.

Header by FayLane

Header by FayLane

Last update on May 3rd, 2019