38. A peaceful place

Finding a peaceful place down here wasn't an easy task. Despite the vastness of the underground maze and the many dark nooks it offered, there was always someone whining in a corner, begging in a niche, screaming from a cranny, dying in a hole. People were piling up in tiny cells, probably following some herd instinct or looking to share body heat. Silence never lasted long. Privacy was utopia.

     So when she found not one, but two empty cells, she didn't pause to think—she just enjoyed her luck. She jumped onto the stone bench, stretched like she was trying to fill the whole room with her malnourished body, and started to have a wash.

     Of course, it didn't take long before a head peeped through the open door. Half of the young, bare face was occupied by wide and teary eyes, the other by a trembling chin.

     "I... I... I..." it stuttered.

     A second head appeared over the first. Under a dark scarf, two dark holes opened over a nasty smile cutting the face from one ear to another.

     "I... I swear to God! He should be in here!" whined the terrified face.

     "Ye could swear to my ballsack for all I give a shite," said the nasty one, spitting. "There's no one here!"

     Outraged, she stood tall on the stone bench. Not only had they bursted in her serenity, but they also overlooked her. That hurt!

     A third man appeared through the door frame, his features hidden under a feathered hat.

     "Merda!" he said.

     Indignation and anger boiled in her mind, but she was outnumbered, and the men were much bigger than she was. Time to swallow her ego and go back to her litter. Hopefully, some of her nine newborns would have survived her absence.

     Pride made her lick her paw and pass it quickly over her muzzle one last time. Then, she jumped from the cold bedding and ran out of the cell, squeaking a loud string of curses.

 Then, she jumped from the cold bedding and ran out of the cell, squeaking a loud string of curses

Last update on July 15th, 2019