49. We have to talk

The Lady was crawling with men, most of them already preparing the ship to set sail. Well past midday, everyone should have been back from their night ashore. As usual, one or two men would be missing, still deep in some ethylic coma, too comfortable between a whore's legs, or simply dead. But without a captain to give the proper orders, the ship wouldn't go far. Alexandra could take command—surely the crew would follow her—but she wouldn't leave Etienne behind. Not until she saw him hanging, at least. And even then... Jade hoped that O'Ma would return soon, with some good news, but it was out of her hands. However, maybe there was something she could do for Savy.

Jade knocked on the door again, but it remained closed.

"Savy, open up please. We have to talk."

The poor girl had regained consciousness shortly after they got back on board, opening her eyes only to let out a flood of tears, drowning feeble moans. Obviously in shock, terrified—and who would blame her?—she had refused to say a word, shaking like a leaf in Jade's arms. And as soon as she could stand on her own, she had rushed into her cabin. But Jade needed to understand, to learn as much as possible, if she wanted to help Savy.

"Savy please... You know you can trust me."

She knocked again, softly. Out of words and pleas, she rested her head against the panel. The voice that came from the other side was barely more than a whisper.

"I don't need a doctor, Jade. I need a priest."

Jade frowned and couldn't hold back the professional comment. "I examined you, you're shocked but otherwise fine. You're not dying just yet."

The door opened on a dishevelled and crazed face. Jade wouldn't have recognized Savy passing by her in the street.

"I know I'm not dying. I think I'm possessed."

Jade had to bite her tongue not to smile. "Possessed? Like in by-the-Devil possessed?"

Savy nodded, eyes blank, staring at nothing. She stepped back, leaving the door open. Without a word, Jade slipped into the cabin. She closed the door behind her, sat on the small bunk, and open her arms as an invite. Savy huddled up into the embrace. She was still trembling, faintly, but her eyes had run out of tears and her breathing was slow and steady. Lesser aftershocks of a violent earthquake.

"Don't be ridiculous," said Jade. "There is no Devil or demon!"

Savy's eyes, filled with anger, locked into Jade's. Despite everything that happened, she was not ready for such a frontal blasphemy.

"How do you know?" she almost yelled. "You don't even believe in God!"

Jade didn't flinch. "I've been around for a bit longer than you, and have stuck with this crew for a few years now. I've seen things that... Let's just say that if God exists, He has forsaken us." She took Savy's hands. "I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for—"

"Reasonable?" Savy pushed her away. "You may have been on this ship longer than I, but I've been aboard long enough to know that strange things are going on here. Things beyond reason!"

Jade remained silent, but her eyes widened.

"I'm not that naive," continued Savy. "Something is off with Dune, like he's empty, and he's guarding Etienne day and night, never resting. Do you think I wouldn't notice? What about Tiago? And this creepy Stalker?"

"Stalker is not—"

"So what is so unbelievable about demons? You and your scientific mind are beyond any salvation, doomed to Hell. Yet, I'm the one to be possessed. God's ways are truly unfathomable. And unfair... And... Has He really forsaken us? Forsaken me?"

She started to cry again. Jade took her back into her arms and cradled her, caressing her hair, patting her back. When the tears ran out, Savy broke the embrace slowly. "I saw these men die, killed, torn apart!"

"I know, dove."

"I didn't kill those men..." she whispered.

"I know."

Savy looked away. Her jaw locked, her fists clenched in her lap. She exhaled and her body relaxed. When she looked back at Jade, she wasn't trembling anymore. Her voice came out, loud, clear, resolute.

"I didn't kill them, but I prayed for them to die."

Last update on December 19th, 2019