56. One more scar

His left biceps throbbed and radiated heat, but Etienne didn't feel any pain. Blood trickled hot from the cut to his elbow. Just a scratch. A few stitches from Jade and he will be as good as new, only counting one more scar. Before that, he had a man to kill.

Sweat ran down his cheek from his eyebrow to the bush of his beard. He licked his lips to taste the salt of it. His eyes never diverted from Don Juan's torso. Both of them were moving in a slow circle between a wall of men and the high hull of the Lady.

"The first to move will be the first to die, babacas," yelled Tiago. Etienne could hear him smile.

The old soldier took a step forward. Etienne threw himself in his direction, feinted a high blow with his left-hand sword, ducked and slashed with the right-hand one. He missed the thigh by an inch and lost balance. His knee hit the ground, making his teeth clatter. He pushed pain away and rolled on his shoulder, avoiding a nasty, and probably deadly slice to the head.

"A barrel roll! Nice move, Capitão!" cheered Tiago.

"Can you please pay heed to the mob around us?" said O'Ma.

Etienne stood back up, grinning. It has been a while since he had such a worthy opponent. Don Juan was old but he was far from rusty. They both started to dance around each other again.

His eyes never leaving the first golden stud on the soldier's jacket, just below his throat, Etienne planned his next move. Hopefully, it would be the last. This had lasted too long already. They were both panting heavily, but he had more stamina than his elder and he would press this advantage. But before he could attack again, a movement behind Don Juan caught his attention.

Alexandra grabbed the soldier's arm and twisted it backwards. The tip of her knife stopped just below his eye.

"Drop your blade," she said.

Don Juan froze. His eyes met Etienne's and he smiled. "I guess we'll have to postpone the end of this duel, Desjours."

Etienne sheathed his rapiers. "Or maybe I'll ask her to kill you right away."

Don Juan threw his blade away, his face only showing contempt. "I hoped you were a man of honor."

Etienne snorted. "Don't you know pirates have no honor? It's as useless as mercy." Then, turning towards his men, "All on boards, gentlemen!"

" Then, turning towards his men, "All on boards, gentlemen!"

Last updtae on December 19th, 2019