Chapter 26

At dinner I met Allison's mom and dad. We were eating and Allison's parents didn't seem to enjoy Scotts company.
"So your Scotts sister, leny." Allison's grandpa said, breaking the silence
"Yes." I said.
"Why haven't I seen you in school?" He asked.
"Well I moved to Hawaii." I said.
"Oh, how fun!" Allison's grandpa said.
"Yeah." I said, "I have always loved the Hawaii sun. Living there has always been a dream."
"Are you here for a vacation from the sun?" He asked.
"No, no." I said, "I'm actually moving back here."
"Oh, why so?" He asked.
"I missed my family." I said.
"Oh, why'd you move--"
"Dad!" Allison's dad exclaimed.
"What--"
"No, no it's ok." I said, "not to make this turn into a dark moment but. I was almost assassinated, poisoned by Succinylcholine, one of the three things used for lethal injections. Horrible really, my body went into shock. And the sheriff encourage me to leave here until the whole thing blows over."
"How horrible. Did it burn?" Allison's grandpa asked, He knew what was in that needle. It was vervain and Succinylcholine.
"God no! I didn't feel any pain!" I said, "just was in shook."
"Did it burn at first?" He asked.
"No. it didn't, just... paralyzed me." I said.

After more minutes of not talking, Allison's Grandpa broke the silence again.
"Why is everyone so quiet?" Allison's grandfather asked, "Is that is it that uncomfortable that they dated?"
"Did you ask them if they would be uncomfortable?" Allison's dad asked.
"Okay, I know it's been a few centuries since I was a teenager, but even back then, we dated and broke up all the time." Allison's grandpa said.
"We're fine." Allison said, "right Scott?"
"We're fine." Scott agreed.
"Then why'd you break up?" Her grandpa asked.
"She dumped me?" Scott said in question form.
"No offense, Scott." Allison's dad said, "But I think maybe Allison felt the two of you were just growing apart?"
"As if the father's opinion isn't biased." I said.
"Exactly what I was thinking!" The grandfather said, "How do you know they weren't as passionate as Romeo & Juliet? "Romeo & Juliet committed ritual suicide." Allison's dad said, "We could use a little less passion."
"Can we please talk about something else?" Allison asked.
"Brilliant idea." Her mom said.
"Scott. How about you help me grab dessert from the kitchen?" Her dad said, Scott followed him into the kitchen. I proceeded to listen in on the conversation. And heard them talking.
"Do I need to fill you in on the details of what would happen to you if he found out what we all know?" Allison's dad said.
"I'm kind of wondering what would happen to you, actually." Scott asked.
"Oh, it wouldn't be very good for me. But then I'd have plenty of chances to redeem myself. And that - wouldn't be good for you." Allison's dad said, they came back into the room.
"Do you mind if we're excused, there's actually some notes from English I need to go over with Scott." Allison said.
"I'm not sure it's appropriate." Allison's dad said.
"Okay, I'm the one that's supposed to be old - fashioned here. The two of you? Go!" He said, Allison bent down to me.
"Keep them distracted!" She said, I smiled. They went up stairs, I watched as they left.
"Alright, real talk now. Which one of you shot me with Succinylcholine and vervain?" I asked, "I don't think I can get compelled anyway because I'm already on vervain. I'm good in that department. Can't hurt me. So, what is the new creature in town called?" They all looked at each other, "Oh my god you don't know. Ha! So, what do we know about it?"
"How do you know about this stuff? You probably only 17." Allison's grandfather said.
"I'm 16, recently turned." I said proudly, "Just last month I turned 16!"
"Well congrats--"
"Now what do you know about the creature?" I asked.
"We know that to kill its victims, it paralyzes its victims body by its poison. And then kills then with its claws." Allison's grandfather said.
"Dad!" Allison's dad said, "Remember the codes!"
"Screw the codes! We don't even know what these things are! We can use all the help we can get!" Allison's grandfather protested.
"Damn strait!" I said, I heard Allison and Scott start coming down the stairs, "please, when you find out what it is, call me." I handed him my 'business card'.
"I'm sorry we to leave so soon. I forgot We have to bring dinner to our mom." Scott said.
"No problem." Allison's dad said.
"See you at school." Allison said, Scott and I left.