•49•

August

"I asked you a question August?"

"What was the question?"

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath then exhaled. Opening them back, they were dead set on me.

"I'm trying to stay calm and be rational about this, so PLEASE don't try to play me. Now why did you go Jamaica. And not just the for the couple days I was in Cali, but you went at the beginning of the year too."

Trying to think about how to respond, I was praying that YaYa came back downstairs.

"You'on think we should check on YaYa? She's been upstairs a while now."

"You know what?" She shook her head. "Whatever August. What the fuck ever!"

Giving me this look, she just walked off. Sighing, I walked over to the stove and began to put out food.

*****
"Here you go Mr. Alsina and do enjoy your stay."

"Thanks."

Looking around as I made my way to my room, part of me began to second guess coming out here.

Getting settled, I sat on the bed and exhaled. Feeling my phone vibrate, I pulled it out of my pocket and saw Keira was calling me again.

"Not right now baybeh."

Leaving it on the bed, I got up and changed and just relaxed a bit before I did what I came to do.

*****

Pausing, I put down the plate and made my way to our room.

"Keira."

"Yes?"

She didn't look at me, and she knew how much that bothered me.

"Keira."

"Yes August?"

"Baybeh look. Just hear me out ok."

I didn't know if she was listening to me or not.

"The first time I went, which was back in January was ta ask him bout that gift he sent and about him contacting you."

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

"Because I didn't go through with it. For some reason, I just couldn't."

"But you went back a couple months ago, again."

"Because of the song."

She looked over at me when I mentioned the song.

"I told you I was going to speak to Mike about that, so why would you even go there."

"Because you're my girl."

"So what!" She stood up.

"What you mean so what? I gotta protect you at all cost!"

"From what?" She began to yell. "From what August? No one is going to take me from you. No one is going to stop me from being in love with you. I'm here. Why can't you see that!"

"Because I know you still love him!" I yelled.

We both stood there quietly after that, just staring at each other.