Chapter 23

AUSTIN'S POV

He cocked the gun.

"No!" Brandon objected.

I took a quick glance upwards and saw a skinny guy nearby. He stood there, just watching. I tried reading his mind, but I couldn't focus. He began to walk closer.

"What are you doing?" The stranger asked.

"Who are you?" The leader said, changing the subject.

"You don't remember?"

"You aren't important enough for me to remember."

"You..." He said as he clenched his fist. "You bullied me when we went to school together."

"Holy crap, Ethan is that you?" He said with a mischievous laugh.

He nodded his head.

"You still look as weak as you were in seventh grade!" Kaden pestered.

Ethan walked toward Kaden.

"Stop right there!" He yelled.

"Still as loud as ever."

Kaden pulled his gun towards him. I couldn't move. I was petrified. Ethan took his sunglasses off. I collapsed on the sidewalk.

ETHAN'S POV

He approached me with his gun. I smiled at this.

"Why are you smiling?" He questioned.

"Because you're clueless," I teased.

He fired his first shot. I grabbed his arm and pointed the gun upwards. Then I twisted his arm and he dropped the gun. Next I punched him in the gut.

"How did you become such a bada**?" He coughed.

"Bullies," I shrugged.

"And your eyes?"

"I'm Satan's child."

BRANDON'S POV

What the crap? He seems like a sarcastic person, but he is freaking me out. He's wearing red contacts, and he's dressed nice. Dang, if I wasn't gay for Austin, I would totally be gay for him!

"If you guys don't retreat now, you'll be next," he threatened.

The gang retreated, frightened by their experience. Ethan started walking off.

"Wait!" I hollered.

He looked back. "Yes?"

"Why did you save us?" People in this generation just don't save other people.

"Just helping another member of the LGBT community. I'm pansexual."

"Thanks. We'll repay you somehow."

"No problem," that was the last thing he said before walking off into the morning fog.

AUGUST 18TH

AUSTIN'S POV

Run... Faster... Must... Outrun... This... Truck... Honk! Honk! Honk!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I woke up from my nightmare, thankful my alarm exists. I fixed up my hair, and picked out my black skinny jeans and my kitty shirt. I walked into the kitchen and I felt attacked.

"Happy birthday!" They yelled at me, making me jump about a million feet into the air. They threw confetti at me, and laughed.

"Happy birthday, love," Brandon said.

He grabbed my hand and kissed it.

"You're officially an adult today," Peyton informed me.

"Here, we made you cake," Isabel said, pointing towards the table.

I walked towards the table and there was a cake with the number eighteen on it. I looked around the room, and there was another table. There were presents. After cake, they let me open my presents.

"This one's from me!" Peyton said excitedly.

I opened it, and was an art set. It was one that I was planning on buying myself when I got some extra cash.

"Thanks!" I said holding it up. It was beautiful.

I looked nervously at the large box at the end of the table.

"What's that?" I questioned.

"Nuh-uh. Wait until the end," Brandon said.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. I knew that one was from him, even though there wasn't a tag on it.

"Here's my present," Isabel said, handing it to me.

I opened it, and it was a new pair of shoes. I really needed a new pair, because mine are worn out and falling apart.

"Thank you," I said smiling. I guess I've forgiven her for what she has done. She's a changed person.

"Now, this one," Isabel and Peyton said simultaneously.

They slid the large box in front of me.